Community, Edge, Travel

Midtown Miami makes for daylong amusement

Bocce Bar is an Italian 3252 NE 1st Avenue,  Donatela Vacca // Contributing Photographer

Bocce Bar is a recently-opened Italian restaurant that offers authentic Italian food, cocktails, music, live entertainment and a bocce alley, also known as Italian bowling. It is located at 3252 NE 1st Ave. Donatela Vacca // Contributing Photographer

When living in Miami, it seems like the best and most obvious thing to do on a day off is to visit the beach, dive into a pool or go shopping. However, as Miami develops into a city filled with high culture, arts and cuisine, there are many more options available than those involving toes in the salt and sand.

Designed to resemble New York’s SoHo, Midtown has become a chic location to visit. Comprising the trendy neighborhoods of Wynwood and Edgewater and located just around the corner of Miami’s Design District, Midtown has become the “it” place, and not just because of its upscale buildings.

With shops of all sorts, art galleries, boutiques, restaurants, coffeehouses and clubs, one can spend an entire day exploring this beautifully blooming neighborhood.

Morning

Start your morning with some freshly brewed coffee at Pasión del Cielo, a new location of the local coffeehouse chain that offers more than 10 beans from all around the world. If you crave a bigger breakfast, go grab some crepes, pancakes, waffles or omelets at Angelina’s Coffee & Juice, a cute and tiny cafe just around the corner.

The Shops at Midtown should be the next stop in your adventure. Classic stores like Guess, HomeGoods, Target and West Elm are interspersed with independent boutiques that offer art, jewelry, fashion and home decor. This small shopping strip provided guests a chance to buy last-minute items, or one-of-a-kind findings. The Shops at Midtown are located at 3401 North Miami Avenue.

Afternoon

Experience a refreshing lunch at The Cheese Course, a European-style cheese store that offers sandwiches, salads, soups, artisan cheese courses and great wines. Covered in vines and flowers, this place is a colorful and invigorating way to start the afternoon.

Later on, venture into the outskirts of the Design District and Wynwood to take a peek at the eccentric and famous wall paintings and graffiti, or check innovative art galleries like The Art Miami Pavilion, located on 3101 NE First Avenue, and Red Dot Art Fair Miami at 3011 NE First Avenue.

Although the shops might be quite expensive, it’s worth it to take a stroll around 40th street, a smaller and more artsy version of Rodeo Drive that features fancy stores such as Louis Vuitton, Christian Louboutin and Scotch and Soda.

Night

Start the night by dining at Bocce, a new restaurant that offers authentic Italian food, cocktails, music, live entertainment and a bocce alley, also known as Italian bowling.

If you are in the mood for classy drinks and a relaxed atmosphere, head to Lagniappe, a New Orleans-inspired lounge that offers an exceptional array of fine wines and cheeses.

Dance the night away by visiting Bardot, a glamorously chaotic club that features live music and great drinks. Be warned, though, because parking is difficult to find and the entrance is pricey.

Your day is not complete until you pull an all-nighter at the famous Gigi, a modern restaurant that stays open until 3 a.m. to offer Asian-fusion cuisine and delicious desserts to end the night (and start the day) in the sweetest way possible.

Donatela Vacca

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Midtown Miami makes for daylong amusement”

1. Dimarco says:

Hi D:

Great article, really enjoyed you promoting our local neighborhoods. Would love it if you can reach out to me and our editorial team so we can discuss future articles together…

Thanks!

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...