Baseball, Sports

Canes baseball hits stride with win streak

SPORTS_BaseballvsVAtech_SC

Junior right-handed pitcher Enrique Sosa (No. 47) winds up for a pitch during Sunday’s game against Virginia Tech. Sosa pitched for seven full innings and allowed three hits and made six strikeouts. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Miami knew the importance of the two weeks that preceded their series against Virginia and Florida State.

The Canes have been up to the task; Miami has now won eight in a row, putting themselves in a prime position as the ACC season begins to wind down.

Utilizing a second straight weekend of dominating pitching and an electric offense, the Miami Hurricanes (28-9, 14-4 ACC) swept Virginia Tech (17-20, 7-11) by a combined score of 34-6. Miami won 11-1 Friday night, 14-4 Saturday and 9-1 Sunday afternoon.

“Our pitching, hitting and defense all came together,” said Jim Morris after Sunday’s win. “It was big for us to get a sweep at home.”

Miami was led Sunday by Enrique Sosa, who pitched a career-high seven innings, giving up just three hits in his second straight quality start while picking up his fifth win of the season.

“I was trying to keep the ball down,” said Sosa, who has performed very well this season in the Sunday spot in the rotation and replaced Bryan Radziewski. “When I was struggling, I was trying to strike out more hitters. The last two outings, I’ve tried to just get ahead and let the defense work behind me.”

Miami was leading 4-0 Sunday when David Thompson launched a three-run home run to left center field to essentially put the game, and series, away. It was Thompson’s 10th home run of the season, leading the Hurricanes.

“It’s been a lot of fun. Our whole team has been hitting well all year,” Thompson said. This season, Miami is hitting over .300. “He threw a slider down, then left a fastball right over the heart of the plate, and I put a good swing on it.”

On Saturday night, Andy Suarez threw six strong innings for Miami, giving up just three earned runs, while the night before, Thomas Woodrey earned his fourth win, giving up just one run in six innings pitched.

With eight straight wins and nine consecutive ACC home wins, Miami heads into a critical two week stretch in conference play performing at its best.

The Hurricanes will travel to Virginia this weekend. Although UVA is struggling in conference play, it is a preseason top five pick that has plenty of offensive power and solid pitchers, including preseason All-American Nathan Kirby.

A home series against Florida State will follow. The Noles were swept on the road at Notre Dame this weekend but should still be ranked come that series at the Light.

If Miami continues to play at the level they have the past two weeks, the Canes may be in the hunt for a regional bid, and a national seed as well.

AJ Ricketts

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...