Football, Sports

Hurricanes football team volunteers at Marrow Donor Drive

Miami football players partnered with Be the Match in their annual bone marrow drive // Courtesy Miami Football

Miami football players partnered with Be the Match in their annual bone marrow drive. // Courtesy Miami Football

Uniformed football players made their presence felt on campus Wednesday as they handed out promotional fliers while standing in high-trafficked areas like the Student Activities Center and the Rat.

This was a part of the Miami Hurricanes football team’s yearly UM Marrow Donor Drive in partnership with Be the Match Foundation.

Facilitators included coaches, players and other volunteers who guided participants through the process of becoming bone marrow donors.

Freshman defensive end Demetrius Jackson said the event was a success.

“We accomplished our mission of getting a lot of people to sign up, and I know that a lot of lives will be saved because of this event,” he said. “The more people, the better.”

To become a donor, potentials must be 18-60 years old, meet the required health guidelines and be willing to donate, if chosen. For more information, go to BeTheMatch.org.

Kayla Lott

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...