Edge Briefs 4/9

WYNWOOD SHUTTLES

The second Saturday of the month means it’s time for Wynwood Art Walk, where students can walk around art galleries and enjoy food trucks and entertainment in the Wynwood Arts District.  Free shuttles will be available to take students over to the area. Buses depart from Stanford circle at 5 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 8 p.m., 9:30 p.m. and 11 p.m.  Buses will depart from Wynwood 200 NW 23rd Street at 5:45 p.m., 7:15 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 10:15 p.m., 12:30 a.m. and 1:30 a.m.

‘WASTE LAND’

One man’s trash is another’s Oscar-nominated film.  The Lowe Art Museum will host a screening of the film “Waste Land” at 2 p.m. Sunday.  The film follows artist Vik Muniz over three years in his native Brazil and the world’s largest garbage dump, Jardim Gramcho.  Muniz’s work utilizes everyday objects that many would consider garbage to create art with noteworthy images, mainly from current events or history. The exhibit will be on display through April 19.  Admission in included in the museum entrance, which is $3 to $10.  Entrance is free for UM students, staff and Lowe members.

ART EXHIBIT

The University of Miami presents Artificial Oasis, a Master of Fine Arts exhibition by Jena Thomas.  In Thomas’s rich, color-saturated fictional landscapes, the natural world is disrupted by swimming pools, patios, golf courses and other human debris imposed on nature, illuminating the visceral boundaries between the fabricated and organic.  The  exhibit will be on view through April 26 at the university Art Gallery, located in Wynwood.  The gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  The gallery is located at 2750 NW Third Avenue, Suite 4, Miami, Fla. 33127.  A full schedule of exhibitions can be viewed at www.as.miami.edu/art.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.