Edge Briefs 4/9

WYNWOOD SHUTTLES

The second Saturday of the month means it’s time for Wynwood Art Walk, where students can walk around art galleries and enjoy food trucks and entertainment in the Wynwood Arts District.  Free shuttles will be available to take students over to the area. Buses depart from Stanford circle at 5 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 8 p.m., 9:30 p.m. and 11 p.m.  Buses will depart from Wynwood 200 NW 23rd Street at 5:45 p.m., 7:15 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 10:15 p.m., 12:30 a.m. and 1:30 a.m.

‘WASTE LAND’

One man’s trash is another’s Oscar-nominated film.  The Lowe Art Museum will host a screening of the film “Waste Land” at 2 p.m. Sunday.  The film follows artist Vik Muniz over three years in his native Brazil and the world’s largest garbage dump, Jardim Gramcho.  Muniz’s work utilizes everyday objects that many would consider garbage to create art with noteworthy images, mainly from current events or history. The exhibit will be on display through April 19.  Admission in included in the museum entrance, which is $3 to $10.  Entrance is free for UM students, staff and Lowe members.

ART EXHIBIT

The University of Miami presents Artificial Oasis, a Master of Fine Arts exhibition by Jena Thomas.  In Thomas’s rich, color-saturated fictional landscapes, the natural world is disrupted by swimming pools, patios, golf courses and other human debris imposed on nature, illuminating the visceral boundaries between the fabricated and organic.  The  exhibit will be on view through April 26 at the university Art Gallery, located in Wynwood.  The gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  The gallery is located at 2750 NW Third Avenue, Suite 4, Miami, Fla. 33127.  A full schedule of exhibitions can be viewed at www.as.miami.edu/art.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...