Campus Life, News

International Week celebrates campus cultures

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ (COISO) International Week 2015 is once again in action. I-Week is an innovative way to celebrate rich cultures from diverse regions of the world.

Each day of the week is dedicated to a different region of the world in order to represent the variety of cultures present at the University of Miami. This year’s theme is “The World’s A Party!”

The theme comes from the idea that despite the world’s differences, one way everyone connects is through the love of celebrations. These celebrations are showcased through tent games, live performances and free ethnic food.

Daily activities are held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the evening shows are from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the University Center Patio. COISO’s goal is to transform the UC Patio into a different region each day.

I-Week begins its celebration with Latin America and the Caribbean on Monday, followed by the Middle East on Tuesday. Asia will continue on Wednesday,  and Europe and Africa will take place on Thursday. The Islands will finish off the week.

Senior Kamila Orlova, the European and African chair, said that I-Week, COISO’s oldest tradition, will provide students the opportunity to share their cultures with the campus and the community.

“My hope and goal is to make International Week 2015 becomes a sort of a Disney tour around the countries of the world, which the entire University will be looking forward to every following year,” Orlova said.

Justina Coronel

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...