Campus Life, News

International Week celebrates campus cultures

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ (COISO) International Week 2015 is once again in action. I-Week is an innovative way to celebrate rich cultures from diverse regions of the world.

Each day of the week is dedicated to a different region of the world in order to represent the variety of cultures present at the University of Miami. This year’s theme is “The World’s A Party!”

The theme comes from the idea that despite the world’s differences, one way everyone connects is through the love of celebrations. These celebrations are showcased through tent games, live performances and free ethnic food.

Daily activities are held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the evening shows are from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the University Center Patio. COISO’s goal is to transform the UC Patio into a different region each day.

I-Week begins its celebration with Latin America and the Caribbean on Monday, followed by the Middle East on Tuesday. Asia will continue on Wednesday,  and Europe and Africa will take place on Thursday. The Islands will finish off the week.

Senior Kamila Orlova, the European and African chair, said that I-Week, COISO’s oldest tradition, will provide students the opportunity to share their cultures with the campus and the community.

“My hope and goal is to make International Week 2015 becomes a sort of a Disney tour around the countries of the world, which the entire University will be looking forward to every following year,” Orlova said.

Justina Coronel

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...