Campus Life, News

Rhodes House finally cleared of carcinogenic asbestos

Rhodes House Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

Rhodes House. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

The Rhodes House office building, containing the Office of Study Abroad and the Counseling Center, was cleared of asbestos after a carcinogenic bundle of fibers was discovered on the second floor.

The finding came after rumors spread about previous employees in the building falling ill. An employee in the building, who chose to remain anonymous and is referred to as Mary for this story, said she saw a warning sign a week before spring break – a paper posted in the scarcely used stairwell between 37-F and 37-E.

“I knew we were moving into the Rhodes House at some point, and I had heard that people were getting sick, in general, from this building,” she said. “But I thought it was just an over-exaggeration.”

Despite whispers of dangerous working conditions, Ken Capezzuto, the executive director of UM’s Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), insisted the asbestos was removed in a single-day abatement without risk to the occupants or visitors of Rhodes House.

In addition, there was a meeting with occupants of Rhodes House to discuss concerns and quell any issues.

“Someone in our office contacted facilities, who then took the advisers down to the second floor and explained how the abatement process works and that they got rid of the asbestos,” Mary said.

Beyond the town hall-style meeting, Mary said there was poor communication between the university and the building occupants.

“This is a horrible thing to breathe in, and I was very upset that we were not properly informed,” she said. “Our office was not notified that there was asbestos in the building … the whole process they went about doing everything was very sketchy.”

According to Ray Gordon, who works for the Miami-Dade branch of the Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of Environmental Resources Management (DEP), UM works closely with the DEP and the EHS to ensure proper removal of asbestos.

“Hundreds of square feet have been removed from the university,” Gordon said.

The university has a full-time State of Florida licensed asbestos consultant on call, in case there is renovation or demolition to do. Asbestos does not occur naturally in Florida, according to The Mesothelioma Center, an outreach and support organization for those affected by asbestos exposure.

However, many materials used to build Florida facilities such as schools, office buildings and businesses were imported from states where asbestos had contaminated them.

“All renovation and demolition projects, including the recent project at the Rhodes House, undergo a rigorous survey, which includes testing of materials prior to any materials being disturbed, and then, removal in accordance with federal guidelines,” university spokesperson Margot Winick said.

Although asbestos is harmless if left untouched, it will release dangerous fibers if it is damaged or exposed. Florida is ranked second in the U.S. for mesothelioma and asbestos-related deaths.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Rhodes House finally cleared of carcinogenic asbestos”

1. J says:

They found it in Stanford a few summers ago and had to remove it. If it’s in Stanford, then my reasoning skills tell me that it’s got to be in Hecht too!

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...