Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball wins fourth straight ACC series

Garrett Kennedy (No. 40) slides into third base in the bottom of the third inning in the last game of the series against Duke. The Canes beat the Blue Devils 10-0 and swept the series Sunday. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricanes baseball team continued its home dominance with a weekend sweep of the Duke Blue Devils at Mark Light Field – their fourth straight ACC series win.

While the Canes edged the Blue Devils by a one-run margin in their first two games, on Sunday, Miami’s double-digit scoring during a shutout victory made a statement. With support from junior starting pitcher Enrique Sosa, the Hurricanes defeated Duke 10-0.

The Canes have lost only two games at Mark Light Field this season, with a home record of 17-2. Meanwhile, Duke (19-13, 4-11 ACC) extended its losing streak to seven games.

Quality starting pitching was key for the Hurricanes (24-9, 11-4 ACC) this weekend. Sosa, who has struggled as of late and entered Sunday’s game with a 5.14 earned run average (ERA), pitched 6.1 scoreless innings and allowed only one hit.

“The pitcher sets the tone of the game always,” Coach Jim Morris said. “He pitched very well today, and it’s great to see him get back in the groove.”

Sosa said his approach was to throw strikes and get ahead early.

“Today I just tried to hit my spots, and the defense was really good behind me, so that helps a lot,” the right-hander said.

Morris stressed how important it is to have a good Sunday pitching start and sweep a series with three wins. After all, three wins is what it takes to reach the ACC finals, and to make it to super regionals and the College World Series, he said.

Senior Garrett Kennedy has continued to prove why he deserves a top spot in the lineup. Leading Miami starters with a .378 batting average, he was moved to the No. 2 hitting spot for the first time Saturday and remained there Sunday.

“We put him in that [second]spot and he really responded,” Morris said. “He’s hot right now, and we have to take advantage of that, get him on base and score some runs.”

Kennedy said he’s enjoying the change in the batting order, and his performance has been all about exuding confidence while at bat.

“You have confidence up there. You’re able to put good swings on pitches. Hitting is all about confidence in my mind,” he said.

Kennedy, who’s been flip-flopping with sophomore Zack Collins between catcher and designated hitter, opened up Miami’s scoring Sunday when he walked up to bat with the bases load in the third inning and hit an RBI single. He went 3-for-4 in the game and also hit his first career triple.

Kennedy’s two-RBI single in the seventh inning Friday also let the Canes take and hold their lead. He tied a career-high with three RBIs that game.

Since returning from his injury, redshirt junior and left-handed pitcher Andy Suarez has been bumped to No. 2 in the weekend rotation, but Suarez (3-0) made a stellar Saturday night start. He had a career-high 12 strikeouts across the eight innings that he pitched in the Canes’ 3-2 victory over Duke.

Suarez, who dropped his ERA down to 2.00, threw 105 pitches and allowed no earned runs. A Miami error in the third inning plated two Blue Devils who scored Duke’s only two runs in that game.

Collins’ solo home run in the sixth inning put the Hurricanes ahead 3-2.

Sophomore Bryan Garcia came in to close it out in the ninth, earning his seventh save of the season. His sixth came the previous night during the four-hour long series opener.

During Friday’s 4-3 win over Duke, junior third baseman David Thompson extended his hitting streak to 20, making him just the eighth Hurricane ever to record such a streak. Though he ultimately snapped it Saturday, Thompson returned with a three-run homer in the sixth inning Sunday.

This weekend, the Canes baseball program also introduced a new tradition – the milkshake race. The shake race features three mascots of Mark Light milkshake favorites: the Wizard, JayRo and Omaha Express.

The Hurricanes will play Florida Atlantic University at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Mark Light Field and remain at home for a weekend series against ACC opponent Virginia Tech.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...