Basketball, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 4/2

Player Recognition

Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball junior guard Sheldon McClellan was announced on Tuesday as a finalist for the 2015 Riley Wallace Award.

The Riley Wallace award is presented each year to the top transfer in Division I college basketball. McClellan transferred from the University of Texas in the fall of 2013.  He leads the Canes with 14.4 points per game and shoots 49.3 percent from the field.

McClellan is 35.9 percent from the three-point line and 81.6 percent at the line. He also notches 4.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. McClellan has the top shooting percentage in the nation by a guard in the Big 5 conferences and has the 13th-best shooting percentage by a guard in the nation. He is 77th among players at all positions.

The winner will be announced at the CollegeInsider.com Awards Banquet on April 3 in Indianapolis where the 2015 NCAA Championship is held.

Men’s Tennis

Hurricanes’ men’s tennis team hit the road this weekend for two ACC matches against No. 32 Florida State and No. 23 Louisville. On Friday, the Canes will face No. 32 FSU at 3 p.m. in Tallahassee. This match against will be broadcast on ESPN3.

This is the 66th meeting of the Canes and the Seminoles. Miami leads with a 46-19 all-time record against FSU. The Seminoles enter the competition with a record of 16-6. Miami will move on to Kentucky to take on No. 23 Louisville at 12 p.m. Sunday. The Canes and Cardinals have only played twice, and Miami leads 2-0. Louisville is 19-4 this spring.

The Hurricanes enter this weekend after beating Boston College and nearly upsetting No. 37 Notre Dame.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...