Shift budget surplus from education to health care

In January, Governor Rick Scott released his plan to spend Florida’s billion dollar surplus. His budget proposal includes certain sales tax cuts, increased education spending per student and more funds for the Bright Futures scholarship. One thing that Scott wholly ignored was health care funding for hospitals.

Much of the funding for hospitals is coming from the federal government’s Low Income Pool (LIP) program, which is part of the Affordable Care Act. That funding is set to expire in June, however, meaning that Florida hospitals that serve low-income individuals will lose $1.3 billion this year.

This has sparked unusual conflict between the legislative chambers and the governor’s office, despite all three being controlled by Republicans. The House backs Scott’s proposed budget and retains his tax cuts and most of the education spending. The Senate, on the other hand, chose to be more cautious by allocating state funds to hospitals to make up for the lost federal LIP funding.

The House needs to skip its own plan and pass the Senate’s budget.

Scott’s plan is centered on the idea of spending a record-breaking $7,176 per student in the state. The House’s figure is slightly lower, but still record-breaking. What most people are ignoring is that the Senate’s plan still spends $7,123 per student. That $53 difference will likely not be a difference felt by Florida families.

The only reason the Senate’s figure isn’t to Scott’s liking is that it’s not technically breaking per-student spending records for the state, and Scott likes to tout his education agenda. He can make an appealing addition to his list of talking points by having this “record-breaking” figure under his belt.

This controversy is more about improving Scott’s public image than it is about genuinely improving the lives of Florida’s students.

The kind of spending that actually would impact Floridians’ lives is the health care spending included in the Senate budget. According to a March story published in the Associated Press, Florida has the most uninsured residents and is second only to Texas. More barriers to health care and millions of dollars in losses for hospitals will have a huge detrimental impact on Florida’s most vulnerable individuals.

How is Scott getting away with continually rejecting health care spending? Because there is no political capital lost if he elects not to help lower individual health care costs. Mounting evidence shows that Americans don’t realize the current slowdown of health care costs.

Though overall health care costs are growing at their slowest rates ever, the spiking costs of drugs leave Americans with the impression that costs are rising just as fast, if not faster, than usual, according to a March 31 article in the Wall Street Journal. If Scott doesn’t increase funding, health care costs will rise. However, because people believe costs are already rising in the status quo, Scott has no urgent political push to improve the situation.

The House should not buy into Rick Scott’s political pandering and realize that allocating money to hospitals will have so much more of a positive impact on individuals’ lives than an insignificantly higher spending per student and tax cuts for corporations.

The Senate’s plan is much better for the state of Florida.

Annie Cappetta is a freshman majoring in political science.

Annie Cappetta

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...