News Briefs 4/2

CLO_Know Justice Symposium

Wednesday evening in the SAC Ballrooms, David Ikard, director of the UM Africana Studies Program, Johnetta Elzie, a 25-year-old social media activist from Ferguson, Missouri, Dr. Jelani Cobb, director of the Institute for African-American Studies at the University of Connecticut, Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin and co-founder of the Trayvon Martin Foundation and Jasiri X, a Pittsburgh rapper (left to right) delved into prominent issues regarding race and politics with attendees at the event. The symposium, entitled, “Know Justice, Know Peace” focused on topics relating to race, social justice and the American dream. After the discussion, students interacted with the panelists in a Q&A session and Jasiri X performed. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

Mental Health Forum

The UM community is invited to participate in a mental health forum provided by the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC). A panel of experts will help facilitate a discussion about mental health on campus and resources available to students. The goal of the panel is to create a safe space to hold a discussion. The event is free for all students, and food and refreshments will be provided. The forum will be from 7-9 p.m. on Tuesday, April 7 in the Student Activities Center Ballroom East.

Basketball Tournament

Kappa Kappa Gamma (KKG) sorority is hosting a 3-on-3 basketball tournament to raise money for Reading is Fundamental (RIF), the largest literacy organization that provides free books for children. Registering a team is $30 and the winning team will receive three $20 gift cards to the Rathskeller. The event begins at 3 p.m. on Friday, April 3 at the Herbert Wellness Center. To sign up, email dkphilanthropy@gmail.com and donations can be sent to gofundme.com/nnja7s.

CANES GO Bald 4 Kids

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation focuses on funding children’s cancer research, much of which is conducted at the Miller School of Medicine. To raise money, Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority is inviting students to donate their hair. The event is free for students. To register, join a team or donate, visit stbaldricks.org/events/CanesGoBald4Kids. Haircuts and head shaves will take place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, April 10 at the Rock.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...