Art, Edge

Neighborhood Art Walks offer collection of culture

Life can be tough for student art buffs – museum memberships and concert tickets aren’t exactly easy to fit into a college budget. Fortunately, Miami’s thriving arts scene has provided a solution: Art Walks.

These evenings typically occur once a month. They feature live music, open galleries and more. Art Walks are not just in Wynwood; there is a different neighborhood jumping on this trend every weekend of the month. Each event has its own flavor, so there’s something to satisfy every kind of cultural craving.

Name: Coral Gables Gallery Night

Date: First Friday of every month, 7-11 p.m.

Location: Along Ponce de Leon Boulevard, between Menores Avenue and Bird Road, as well as Miracle Mile

Highlights:

• Stop by the Virginia Miller Galleries, one of the oldest art spaces in Miami.
  • Take advantage of the free admission to the Coral Gables Museum.
  • Catch some live music in Ponce Circle Park.

Name: Coconut Grove Fashion + Art + Music Night

Date: First Saturday of every month, 7-10 p.m.

Location: Grand Avenue, Main Highway, Commodore Plaza and Fuller Street

Highlights:

• Get your fashion fix and take advantage of discounted prices at many of the Grove’s boutiques.
  • Listen to a varied mix of live music, featuring drum circles, acoustic coffeehouses and occasional performances from the Frost School of Music.
  • Keep the night going after the walk ends with the after-party at the Bookstore in the Grove.

Name: Wynwood Art Walk

Date: Second Saturday of every month, 7-10 p.m.

Location: Between 23rd Street and 30th Street, along Northwest Second Avenue (The Wynwood Arts District)

Highlights:

• Grab dinner from an assortment of food trucks and enjoy some live music with your meal.
  • Check out the dozens of galleries open for public viewing.
  • Admire the can’t-miss graffiti installations at Wynwood Walls.

Name: Bird Road Art District Walk

Date: Third Saturday of every month, 7-10 p.m.

Location: Along 74th Street and 75th Street, just south of Bird Road

Highlights:

• Check out an eclectic array of art displayed in repurposed warehouse spaces.
  • Hear some poetry or see a comedy show at Inner Look Center.
  • Watch a performance courtesy of Akuara Teatro, Bird Road’s resident theatrical troupe.

Name: Viernes Culturales

Date: Last Friday of every month, 7-10 p.m.

Location: Along Calle Ocho in Little Havana

Highlights:

• Grab a drink and take in some live jazz at Ball and Chain, one of Miami’s most historic nightclubs.
  • Take a free walking tour of Little Havana with Paul George, a veteran guide with 13 years of experience.
  • Finish your night on a sweet note with a scoop of Azucar Ice Cream Company’s famous Abuela Maria.

Madelyn Paquette

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...