Art, Edge

Neighborhood Art Walks offer collection of culture

Life can be tough for student art buffs – museum memberships and concert tickets aren’t exactly easy to fit into a college budget. Fortunately, Miami’s thriving arts scene has provided a solution: Art Walks.

These evenings typically occur once a month. They feature live music, open galleries and more. Art Walks are not just in Wynwood; there is a different neighborhood jumping on this trend every weekend of the month. Each event has its own flavor, so there’s something to satisfy every kind of cultural craving.

Name: Coral Gables Gallery Night

Date: First Friday of every month, 7-11 p.m.

Location: Along Ponce de Leon Boulevard, between Menores Avenue and Bird Road, as well as Miracle Mile

• Stop by the Virginia Miller Galleries, one of the oldest art spaces in Miami.
  • Take advantage of the free admission to the Coral Gables Museum.
  • Catch some live music in Ponce Circle Park.

Name: Coconut Grove Fashion + Art + Music Night

Date: First Saturday of every month, 7-10 p.m.

Location: Grand Avenue, Main Highway, Commodore Plaza and Fuller Street

• Get your fashion fix and take advantage of discounted prices at many of the Grove’s boutiques.
  • Listen to a varied mix of live music, featuring drum circles, acoustic coffeehouses and occasional performances from the Frost School of Music.
  • Keep the night going after the walk ends with the after-party at the Bookstore in the Grove.

Name: Wynwood Art Walk

Date: Second Saturday of every month, 7-10 p.m.

Location: Between 23rd Street and 30th Street, along Northwest Second Avenue (The Wynwood Arts District)

• Grab dinner from an assortment of food trucks and enjoy some live music with your meal.
  • Check out the dozens of galleries open for public viewing.
  • Admire the can’t-miss graffiti installations at Wynwood Walls.

Name: Bird Road Art District Walk

Date: Third Saturday of every month, 7-10 p.m.

Location: Along 74th Street and 75th Street, just south of Bird Road

• Check out an eclectic array of art displayed in repurposed warehouse spaces.
  • Hear some poetry or see a comedy show at Inner Look Center.
  • Watch a performance courtesy of Akuara Teatro, Bird Road’s resident theatrical troupe.

Name: Viernes Culturales

Date: Last Friday of every month, 7-10 p.m.

Location: Along Calle Ocho in Little Havana

• Grab a drink and take in some live jazz at Ball and Chain, one of Miami’s most historic nightclubs.
  • Take a free walking tour of Little Havana with Paul George, a veteran guide with 13 years of experience.
  • Finish your night on a sweet note with a scoop of Azucar Ice Cream Company’s famous Abuela Maria.

Madelyn Paquette

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

After just one match together, freshman Adria Soriano and senior Christian Langmo earned a top-50 ra ...