Edge Briefs 4/2

Playwriting Competition

Astonishing Idiots, a student-run theater company, is holding a university-wide playwriting competition. The deadline is April 10 and students can submit scenes, skits, monologues and radio plays to idiotsmiami@gmail.com.

Scenes can be anywhere from five to 20 minutes. The winner will receive $100 and a staged reading by UM BFA students. Three runners-up will also receive a staged reading. Astonishing Idiots’ next show is 8 p.m. April 8 at the Open Stage Club on Miracle Mile. Admission is $1.

‘Off the Wire’

The university’s late-night comedy show “Off the Wire” will film live 9 p.m. Thursday at the School of Communication Studio C. Wildlife expert Ron Magill will make an appearance.  Tuik, the in-house band, will also perform. The first 20 students who attend will receive free goodie bags.

Lowedown

On the first Thursday of the month, the Lowe Art Museum hosts Lowedown Happy Hour. From 7-9 p.m. guests can enjoy a guided tour of the special exhibition “Weavers’ Stories from Island Southeast Asia.” Food and beverages will be provided. Admission is $10 and free for Lowe members.

‘Spare Beauty’

“Spare Beauty: The Cuban Kitchen Exhibition” is on display at the Richter Library through May 31. The exhibition is inspired by New York City-based photographer Ellen Silverman’s travels to Cuba. 

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Julie Harans

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...