Edge Briefs 4/2

Playwriting Competition

Astonishing Idiots, a student-run theater company, is holding a university-wide playwriting competition. The deadline is April 10 and students can submit scenes, skits, monologues and radio plays to idiotsmiami@gmail.com.

Scenes can be anywhere from five to 20 minutes. The winner will receive $100 and a staged reading by UM BFA students. Three runners-up will also receive a staged reading. Astonishing Idiots’ next show is 8 p.m. April 8 at the Open Stage Club on Miracle Mile. Admission is $1.

‘Off the Wire’

The university’s late-night comedy show “Off the Wire” will film live 9 p.m. Thursday at the School of Communication Studio C. Wildlife expert Ron Magill will make an appearance.  Tuik, the in-house band, will also perform. The first 20 students who attend will receive free goodie bags.

Lowedown

On the first Thursday of the month, the Lowe Art Museum hosts Lowedown Happy Hour. From 7-9 p.m. guests can enjoy a guided tour of the special exhibition “Weavers’ Stories from Island Southeast Asia.” Food and beverages will be provided. Admission is $10 and free for Lowe members.

‘Spare Beauty’

“Spare Beauty: The Cuban Kitchen Exhibition” is on display at the Richter Library through May 31. The exhibition is inspired by New York City-based photographer Ellen Silverman’s travels to Cuba. 

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Julie Harans

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...