Campus Life, News

Meditation flash mob promotes peace

Students sit for peace at the UC Rock Monday afternoon. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

One empowering word – peace – made students walking by the Rock stop in their tracks simultaneously, when it was shouted out Monday afternoon.

At exactly 12:10 p.m., students immediately stopped and sat down silently with their eyes closed as part of a meditation flash mob. As others walked by and observed of what was occurring, some decided to participate.

After five minutes passed, a leader screamed “Peace out!” and everyone got up and wandered off as if nothing had happened.

The standstill event was organized by Miami Mindfulness, an organization aiming to enhance lives by using the freedom of focus.

Jaydev Hemrajani, vice president of Miami Mindfulness, said the flash mob was planned to grab students’ attention and to show them how to time out of their busy day to bring peace to their minds.

“This is a chance for everyone to stop and just focus on breathing and focus on being rather than doing, and that’s what our club is about,” Hemrajani said.

Junior Giovanni Calixte joined the flash mob for the experience and to support the idea behind it.

“The main purpose for me to join was because it sounded interesting,” he said. “I always wanted to join a flash mob, so I didn’t know too much about the cause in the beginning, but it’s fairly obvious and I think it’s a good reason doing it.”

Hemrajani hopes that the event allowed students to meditate publicly while catching the attention of others to remind them that peace can always be found within.

“We wanted to make a statement,” Hermrajani said.

Justina Coronel

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...