Campus Life, News

Meditation flash mob promotes peace

Students sit for peace at the UC Rock Monday afternoon. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

One empowering word – peace – made students walking by the Rock stop in their tracks simultaneously, when it was shouted out Monday afternoon.

At exactly 12:10 p.m., students immediately stopped and sat down silently with their eyes closed as part of a meditation flash mob. As others walked by and observed of what was occurring, some decided to participate.

After five minutes passed, a leader screamed “Peace out!” and everyone got up and wandered off as if nothing had happened.

The standstill event was organized by Miami Mindfulness, an organization aiming to enhance lives by using the freedom of focus.

Jaydev Hemrajani, vice president of Miami Mindfulness, said the flash mob was planned to grab students’ attention and to show them how to time out of their busy day to bring peace to their minds.

“This is a chance for everyone to stop and just focus on breathing and focus on being rather than doing, and that’s what our club is about,” Hemrajani said.

Junior Giovanni Calixte joined the flash mob for the experience and to support the idea behind it.

“The main purpose for me to join was because it sounded interesting,” he said. “I always wanted to join a flash mob, so I didn’t know too much about the cause in the beginning, but it’s fairly obvious and I think it’s a good reason doing it.”

Hemrajani hopes that the event allowed students to meditate publicly while catching the attention of others to remind them that peace can always be found within.

“We wanted to make a statement,” Hermrajani said.

Justina Coronel

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Meditation flash mob promotes peace”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...