Dear V

Dear V: That awkward moment when…

Dear V,

My boyfriend commutes to school and lives at home with his family. Last weekend, he finally introduced me to his parents. I had a wonderful time getting to know them and we really hit it off.  His mother offered me the guest room to stay for the weekend. On the first night, my boyfriend snuck into the guest room with me and we started getting freaky.

Everything was going well … until his mom barged in! She screamed and ran out of the room, and wouldn’t look me in the eye at breakfast. Needless to say, I didn’t stay the whole weekend. I’m mortified and feel like I should apologize. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Caught in the Act

Dear Caught in the Act,

As T-Swift would say, “I knew you were trouble when you walked in.”

You two love birds got caught rolling around in the guest nest – and your guy’s mother stuck her beak where it didn’t belong. Hopefully, she’s learned her lesson not to enter a room without knocking.  What you’re really concerned about is damage control, and I don’t blame you one bit.

As they say, “Two’s company, three’s a crowd,” and I’m sure you relate to that saying all too well now.

What a wonderful first impression to give to your potential in-laws.

Unfortunately, it’s too late to “Hot Tub Time Machine” your mistake and stop your boyfriend from crawling into the sack with you.

This is one of life’s many embarrassing moments that you’ll just have to learn to live with – and hey, at least your guy’s parents know he’s, well, being satisfied in your relationship.

Sure, you could bring it up when you see his parents next and apologize for that awkward moment, but what would you even say? “I’m sorry I had sex with your son” is probably not the way to solidify their first impression of you. Plus, it’s really your boyfriend’s choice to apologize, not yours.

As you said, you seemed to really hit it off.

For all you know, his parents might be completely over it and can laugh about it. At least you broke the ice, and they really got to see the real, bare you.

And what have you got to apologize about? There’s nothing wrong with what you were doing, and it’s much more uncomfortable for your boyfriend’s mom than it is for you.

At some point in time, think of the situation from her perspective: that was the little boy whose diaper she was changing.

She’s now certain that her boy’s all grown up.

Grin and bear the awkward moment – and next time, lock the door.

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...