Sports, Tennis

Virginia games bring Miami women’s tennis one loss, one win

During a two-match weekend, the Hurricanes walked away with a decisive 5-2 victory over UVA and a heartbreaking 4-3 loss against Virginia Tech.

The first match, against UVA on Friday, was Miami’s second away win against a top-10 team.

“We fought our tails off for almost seven hours to bring this one in, and I couldn’t be any prouder of this group,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told Hurricanesports.com. “We’ve made some minor changes these past few weeks and they paid off today.”

Miami’s Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno teamed up with other doubles duo Lina Lileikite and Wendy Zhang to pull out wins to earn the doubles point.

Junior Stephanie Wagner had a rare loss, but was avenged when teammate Sinead Lohan pulled out an impressive win over UVA’s Danielle Collins. The win over Collins, who is ranked No. 31 and is last year’s winner of the 2014 NCAA Singles Championship, was the second-highest ranked win of Lohan’s career.

On Sunday, Miami pulled away early with a three-match sweep to clinch the doubles point. The singles matches split down the middle — Lileikite made quick work of her opponent, and Zhang fought back to win a three-setter.

In the end, the match came down to Wagner, who fought back with a 7-5 win in the second set after a 6-3 loss in the first, but dropped the final set, 6-3.

This past weekend marked the final month of conference play, and the next three weeks will entail more back-to-back matches.

Next weekend, the Hurricanes host both No. 17 Duke and No. 2 North Carolina, and the weekend after, travel to the Midwest to take on Notre Dame and Louisville. The team will wrap up the regular season by hosting rival Florida State and Pittsburgh April 18 and 19.

The Hurricanes will take on Duke at 5 p.m. Thursday, April 2 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Alexa Pappas

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...