Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 3/25

Women’s Tennis

Hurricanes women’s tennis junior Stephanie Wagner moved up to No. 6  in both the national singles and doubles rankings for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Tuesday afternoon. She rose one spot in the singles rankings.

Wagner and senior Lina Lileikite jumped two positions on the doubles list. Wagner is one of four players in the country’s top 10 in both sets of rankings and one of three in the top six in both.

Wagner is 8-1 in singles dual matches this spring, including 6-0 in ACC play and 6-1 at the top position. She had seven singles victories against nationally ranked opponents in 2015.

Four other Hurricanes are ranked in singles play. Sinead Lohan is No. 39, Junior Clementina Riobueno stays at No. 63, while freshman Wendy Zhang is No. 96 and Lileikite is No. 125.

Track and Field

Hurricanes freshman Henri Delauze was named to the 51-member Bahamian team for the 2015 CARIFTA Games in St. Kitts and Nevis from April 2-7 in track and field.

He has represented the Bahamas at the 2013 and 2014 CARIFTA Games and the World Youth Championships. Delauze earned a gold medal in the 4x400m 17-under relay at the 2013 CARIFTA Games.

Delauze is one of seven athletes selected to represent the Bahamas in the under-20 group and is in the under-20 relay pool, too.

In his college debut, Delauze made a school record in the men’s 600m with a time of 1:12.26 at the Nittany Lion Challenge.

Miami’s next competition will be in Tallahassee at the Florida State Relays Friday and Saturday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...