Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 3/25

Women’s Tennis

Hurricanes women’s tennis junior Stephanie Wagner moved up to No. 6  in both the national singles and doubles rankings for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Tuesday afternoon. She rose one spot in the singles rankings.

Wagner and senior Lina Lileikite jumped two positions on the doubles list. Wagner is one of four players in the country’s top 10 in both sets of rankings and one of three in the top six in both.

Wagner is 8-1 in singles dual matches this spring, including 6-0 in ACC play and 6-1 at the top position. She had seven singles victories against nationally ranked opponents in 2015.

Four other Hurricanes are ranked in singles play. Sinead Lohan is No. 39, Junior Clementina Riobueno stays at No. 63, while freshman Wendy Zhang is No. 96 and Lileikite is No. 125.

Track and Field

Hurricanes freshman Henri Delauze was named to the 51-member Bahamian team for the 2015 CARIFTA Games in St. Kitts and Nevis from April 2-7 in track and field.

He has represented the Bahamas at the 2013 and 2014 CARIFTA Games and the World Youth Championships. Delauze earned a gold medal in the 4x400m 17-under relay at the 2013 CARIFTA Games.

Delauze is one of seven athletes selected to represent the Bahamas in the under-20 group and is in the under-20 relay pool, too.

In his college debut, Delauze made a school record in the men’s 600m with a time of 1:12.26 at the Nittany Lion Challenge.

Miami’s next competition will be in Tallahassee at the Florida State Relays Friday and Saturday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...