News Briefs 3/26

As part of Haitian Culture Week, the UMiami Planet Kreyol organization held an evening of kompa dancing on the UC Patio Wednesday. Haitian Culture Week continues Thursday with the Miss Planet Kreyol Pageant, to be held in the SAC Ballrooms at 7 P.M. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Miller Recognition

Dr. Pascal J. Goldschmidt, dean of UM Miller School of Medicine, announced in a university-wide email Tuesday that Miller’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of four Florida cancer centers, and the only one in South Florida, to receive recognition as a state-designated Cancer Center of Excellence. The Cancer Center of Excellence award program aims to encourage excellence in cancer care, attract and retain the best cancer care professionals, and help organizations in Florida to be recognized nationally. Goldschmidt added that Sylvester treats nearly 5,000 new cancer patients each year and the survival rates are higher than the national average.

Greek Extravaganza

The UM chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council will be having its 23rd annual Greek Extravaganza where nine sororities and fraternities compete against each other in a step show. Stepping is a combination of rhythms and sounds using footsteps, spoken word and hand claps. The show is free for students with their Cane Cards, and general admission is $10. Greek Extravaganza begins at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knight Sports Complex, located 5821 San Amaro Drive or between the Hecht Athletic Center and Cobb Stadium.

CFunk Class

The University of Miami Women’s Commission and Yellow Rose Society is teaching a CFunk class, a type of hip-hop music characterized by shouting catchphrases. The free exercise class will be held at 3:30 p.m. Monday at the Lakeside Patio.

Brazilian Night

Miami Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) invites students to a Brazilian Night that will include live music, samba dancing, food and guest speakers. The free event begins at 7 p.m. on Friday in the BCM building at 1200 Stanford Drive, across from the Mahoney-Pearson residential colleges.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...