Blogs, Music, UBuzz

UBuzz: The ‘Game of Thrones’ premier(e) playlist

On Thursday, the University of Miami will host a pre-screening of HBO’s hit series “Game of Thrones” Season 5 Episode 1 before the global broadcast Sunday, April 12.

“Game of Thrones” is best known for killing off beloved characters, inappropriate sibling relationships and incredible scenes of battle.

This playlist is inspired by the show’s characters and stories. We hope this will psyche you up while you’re waiting in line near Cosford Cinema.

1. “Main Title” – Ramin Djawadi

What’s a “Game of Thrones”-inspired playlist without its catchy theme song?

2. “Welcome to the Black Parade” – My Chemical Romance

My Chemical Romance’s 2006 hit perfectly sums up the ever-broody Jon Snow. We initially meet Jon as the bastard son of the supposedly noble Ned Stark in Season 1. Jon is obsessed with proving himself throughout the show. He joins the Knight’s Watch in the hopes of finding a purpose. The Knight’s Watch is essentially the black parade with deadly supernatural creatures.

3. “Complicated” – Avril Lavigne

Oh how we miss the angsty Avril Lavigne. Her smash hit “Complicated” is inspired by Arya Stark who never catches a break. A member of the Stark clan, she traverses the land of Westeros in search of the people who killed her family. Did we mention she’s about 12 years old? Pretty complicated stuff.

4. “Another One Bites the Dust” – Queen

Weddings in “Game of Thrones” are usually bad news. Someone will die, be murdered or brutally poisoned.

5. “Tainted Love” – Soft Cell

From the series’ first episode, incest defines the struggle between fraternal twins Cersei and Jaime Lannister. Their secret relationship shapes the course of the story and makes a mess out of succession for the Iron Throne.

6. “Papa Don’t Preach” – Madonna

Madonna and Cersei find some common ground. Cersei can’t come to terms with her father’s obsession for his family House Lannister. She often resorts to manipulation to get what she wants, but is constantly outsmarted by her younger brother Tyrion.

7. “Every Breath You Take” – The Police

Jon falls in love with Ygritte – a “wildling,” or resident of the harsh world beyond the Wall – which provides a barrier for Westeros. Let’s just say Jon deserves some happiness, and his love for Ygritte reminds us of this Police single.

8. “Black Magic Woman” – Santana

Santana was probably singing about Melisandre, the manipulative sorceress who enthralls House Baratheon.

9. “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” – Kelly Clarkson

Daenerys Targaryen rocks this next track. She is the Mother of Dragons, Queen of the Dothraki and believes in ethical ruling, which is seldom found in “Game of Thrones.”

10. “Go Your Own Way” – Fleetwood Mac

Arya and Brienne of Tarth would have found a home with this Fleetwood Mac hit. Arya and Brienne are strong women who have no problem killing anyone who gets in their way.

11. “I Want to Know What Love Is” – Foreigner

Let’s give Jon a break. He’s been through so much. And timid Sansa Stark marries the tyrannical, violent Joffrey who derives pleasure from others’ suffering.

12. “Superstition” – Stevie Wonder

Bran Stark discovers his magical powers throughout Seasons 3 and 4. He is guided by visions of a three-eyed raven to a mystical shrine north of the Wall.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...