Campus Life, News

Best events to attend during Haitian Culture Week and Commuter Week

Since this week marks Haitian Culture Week 2015 and Commuter Week 2015, here are some events you don’t want to miss on campus, from service opportunities to cultural programs.

Drive-in Movie

As part of Commuter Week 2015, the Association of Commuter Students (ACS) invites students to a screening of “Talladega Nights” on the sixth floor of the Pavia Garage Monday night. The event will begin at 8 p.m. and will be catered by Lime.

Sa Se Ayiti: This is Haiti

As part of Haitian Culture Week 2015, “Sa Se Ayiti: This is Haiti,” presented by UMiami Planet Kreyol, will educate students on the island and its culture. The week begins with opening ceremonies from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday at the University Center (UC) Rock.

Miss Planet Kreyol Pageant

Following the week’s theme, the pageant will take contestants on a journey to explore what Haiti means to them, from its history to its culture to its people. Contestants will express themselves through dance and speech. The pageant will also feature Sejoe, a Haitian-American who runs a show on YouTube in Creglish Creole and English for the Millennial generation. The pageant will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the SAC Ballroom East.

Packing for Poverty

The Butler Center for Service and Leadership invites students to help pack peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for Camillus House in downtown Miami, an organization fighting homelessness and hunger in the city. Free pizza will be provided for those who help. The Butler Center will accepting peanut butter, jelly, juice boxes and chips to Suite 204. Packing for Poverty begins at 3 p.m. on Friday in the UC’s Storm Surge room.

Kanaval

The biggest event of Haitian Culture Week, Kanaval will have food, games, art and music. It will feature special guests DJ Bullet and the Haitian band, Xtassy. The event is free for UM students, $5 for non-UM students, and $10 for non-students. To purchase tickets, click here. Festivities will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday at the Lakeside Patio.

Featured image courtesy Orange County Archives via Flickr

Alina Zerpa