Campus Life, News

Best events to attend during Haitian Culture Week and Commuter Week

Since this week marks Haitian Culture Week 2015 and Commuter Week 2015, here are some events you don’t want to miss on campus, from service opportunities to cultural programs.

Drive-in Movie

As part of Commuter Week 2015, the Association of Commuter Students (ACS) invites students to a screening of “Talladega Nights” on the sixth floor of the Pavia Garage Monday night. The event will begin at 8 p.m. and will be catered by Lime.

Sa Se Ayiti: This is Haiti

As part of Haitian Culture Week 2015, “Sa Se Ayiti: This is Haiti,” presented by UMiami Planet Kreyol, will educate students on the island and its culture. The week begins with opening ceremonies from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday at the University Center (UC) Rock.

Miss Planet Kreyol Pageant

Following the week’s theme, the pageant will take contestants on a journey to explore what Haiti means to them, from its history to its culture to its people. Contestants will express themselves through dance and speech. The pageant will also feature Sejoe, a Haitian-American who runs a show on YouTube in Creglish Creole and English for the Millennial generation. The pageant will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the SAC Ballroom East.

Packing for Poverty

The Butler Center for Service and Leadership invites students to help pack peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for Camillus House in downtown Miami, an organization fighting homelessness and hunger in the city. Free pizza will be provided for those who help. The Butler Center will accepting peanut butter, jelly, juice boxes and chips to Suite 204. Packing for Poverty begins at 3 p.m. on Friday in the UC’s Storm Surge room.

Kanaval

The biggest event of Haitian Culture Week, Kanaval will have food, games, art and music. It will feature special guests DJ Bullet and the Haitian band, Xtassy. The event is free for UM students, $5 for non-UM students, and $10 for non-students. To purchase tickets, click here. Festivities will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday at the Lakeside Patio.

Featured image courtesy Orange County Archives via Flickr

Alina Zerpa

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...