Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Track team stars shine at two-day meet

As a significant opening meet of the season, the 2015 Hurricane Invitational is taken seriously by the University of Miami’s track and field team, and understandably so. It is the opportunity for track stars to shine and inch closer to their ACC goals.

This year, the men’s track and field team took Cobb Stadium by storm, reaching rankings among the best in the program.

The two-day meet had a bold beginning Friday when Carlos Mangum took over the top rank in the men’s hammer throw. The sophomore opened the season with a personal best and a new school record with a throw of 61.74m.

Sophomore Gian Piero Ragonesi placed fifth in the men’s hammer throw with 46.45m and placed first in the men’s discuss with a mark of 52.57m. He won the men’s shot put with a personal best of 17.46m, ranking second in UM history.

Redshirt freshman Daniel Polinski looked at the invitational as an opportunity to set new records.

“[To] get some good opening marks out and a personal best, definitely,” he said of his goals for the meet. “Improve every time I throw. I’m pretty amped up; it’s the first home meet. It’s fun to just be at home and go against other people.”

Polinski ranked second in the men’s discus with a throw of 47.80m. He ranked fourth in the men’s shot put and fourth in UM history with a throw of 16.39m.

Christian Cook, Anthony Wolliston, Robert Grant and Henri Delauze took third place in the men’s 4x400m team relay. Third ranking was also awarded to their fellow Canes Joseph Ryan, Ibrahim Dodo, Zach Garland and Douglas Dourado, who also finished with 3:20.75.

Others in relay, Cook, Grant, Wolliston and Jaalen Jones, earned first place in the men’s 4x100m with a time of 40.83 seconds.

Garland, a freshman runner, ranked sixth in the men’s 800m run with a personal best time of 1:56.32. Dourado, Sean Grossman and Julien Primel finished in the top 10 of the men’s 1500m race in seventh, eighth and tenth place.

In jumping, junior John-Patrick Patrick won the men’s long jump with a mark of 7.67m.

Kevin Marsh and AJ Ricketts competed in the 5000m race, placing 22nd and 24th.

The Hurricanes will next compete in the Florida State Relays on Friday and Saturday.

Emily Dabau

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...