News Briefs 3/23

Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer

Freshmen Nick DeAngelis and Alex Kamphorstperform in Quantum’s stage adaptation of The Breakfast Club at the Cosford Cinema Thursday night. An “80’s night party” was held beforehand. Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer

Know Justice, Know Peace

A panel of speakers will take part in “Know Justice, Know Peace: A Symposium on Race, Policing and Social Justice in the 21st Century,” including Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin and co-founder of the Trayvon Martin Foundation.

Jelani Cobb, contributor for The New Yorker and associate professor of history at the University of Connecticut, Johnetta Elzie, contributor for the Ferguson Protestor Newsletters, and Jasari X, hip-hop artist and activist, will join Martin.

The symposium will take place at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 1 in the Student Activities Center (SAC)Ballroom. For more information, call 305-284-6399. Tickets are required for entry and are free for all students with a valid Cane Card at the UC Ticket Window from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Find Your Senator

Student Government (SG) is hosting a photo challenge for students to meet their senators, who will be wearing an “I’m a Senator” sign.

Students who take a selfie with them and upload the picture to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #FindYourSenator will be entered into a raffle. Prizes consist of Beats Solo Headphones, an Amazon Fire TV Stick or five $20 Visa gift cards. Students can submit a maximum of three entries, but posting the same photo on more than one platform will count as one entry.

Finding the Speaker of the Senate, Brianna Hathaway, will count as an additional entry for a total of four entries. Photos can be published starting at 8 a.m. Monday until 5 p.m. Friday. The winners will be reached through Facebook or Instagram by Wednesday, April 1.

Commuter Week

The Association of Commuter Students (ACS) will be hosting its annual Commuter Week starting Monday. This year’s transformer-themed week will kick-off with a screening of Talladega Nights on the sixth floor of the Pavia Garage at 8 p.m. Monday. Tuesday’s car smash event will begin at 12 p.m. on the Rock.

Free milkshakes will be available starting at 6 p.m. Wednesday during the Baseball game at Mark Light Field.

“Good Morning Commuters!” will provide free breakfast for students from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Thursday by the University Center Bridge. That night, the organization will also host a Charity Date Auction from 7-11 p.m. at the Rathskeller.

The week will end with a laser tag battle catered by PDQ from 4-7 p.m. at the Wellness Center.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa