Campus Life, News

Walk in My Shoes for child sexual abuse passes through campus

UM alumna Lauren Books, founder of Walk in My Shoes, visited the University of Miami campus Thursday to raise awareness about child sexual abuse.

Book was a victim of childhood sexual abuse for six years, and she has worked to prevent future abuse and help survivors heal through her organization, Lauren’s Kids.

Her annual statewide “Walk in My Shoes” awareness walk across Florida passed through the UM campus Thursday afternoon. Watch the video below:

Featured image courtesy Lauren’s Kids via Facebook

Eddie Sanchez

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Walk in My Shoes for child sexual abuse passes through campus”

1. Doodles says:

Join us on April 22nd at the statehouse to peacefully protest against Lauren Book’s support of Florida’s Scorched Earth Policies! Anti-Registry Movement lives!

2. PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT: THE RALLY IN TALLY
    Florida State House, Tallahassee, FL

Advocates of sex offender registry reform will gather in a peaceful protest at the Florida State House in Tallahassee FL on April 22, 2015 during the annual Lauren Book’s ‘Walk In My Shoes’ event. The Rally in Tally is a joint collaboration among civil rights activists across the USA, from Oregon to Florida to New England, not merely as members of various groups or as individual activists, but in an act of solidarity under the banner of the Anti-Registry Movement (ARM). We seek to raise awareness of the sex offender law reform movement, provide educational material, and garner attention to our plights at a high-profile event that brings politicians, celebrity advocates, and the news media together.

The intent of the Rally in Tally is not to attack, dispute, or criticize the efforts of Lauren’s Kids as it relates to raising awareness and the prevention of sexual abuse in America. However, we are taking a stand against the policies of the Lauren’s Kids foundation in its efforts to promote and lobby for Florida’s “scorched Earth” policies. Lauren Book and her powerful lobbyist father, Ron Book, have pushed a number of harmful policies under the Lauren’s Kids banner, including tough residency restrictions that forced registered citizens in Miami-Dade County to sleep under bridges, in abandoned parking lots, and even along train tracks and warehouses. In the past year Lauren’s Kids supported a law marking the state-issued ID cards of some registrants with a scarlet letter, creating “pocket parks” to expand exclusion zones against registrants, and is currently supporting a lifetime GPS bill for all registered persons. In addition, Lauren Book has referred to all registered citizens as “monsters,” “incurable,” a “clear an imminent danger,” and “ticking time bombs.”

We cannot make the Rally in Tally a success without you, our fellow activists. We need people willing to travel to Tallahassee to present the Book family and the Florida Legislature with a visual representation of the unconsidered consequences of hastily-devised legislation. Registered citizens AND their families are strongly encouraged to attend. After all, we cannot hope to change the laws if we are unwilling to stand publicly for our rights. If you cannot attend the event, then we encourage you to support the rally attendees by making a donation to assist in paying for supplies and related expenses.

Please email rallyintally2015@yahoo.com for more information and to receive periodic updates about this exciting event!