Edge, Theater

‘Wicked’ opens with a lottery

Photo Courtesy esocialworld.com

Photo Courtesy esocialworld.com

Ask a group of college students to name their favorite Broadway show, and chances are “Wicked” will come up more than once.

Since its opening in 2003, the blockbuster musical has won the hearts of millions with its catchy tunes and imaginative story and is poised to gain even more fans with this month’s national tour stop at the Adrienne Arsht Center.

Tickets are a splurge, but if you’re feeling lucky and looking to save some green, the Arsht’s nightly lottery could be your ticket to the Emerald City.

For the uninitiated, “Wicked” is a Tony Award-winning musical based on the 1995 novel with the same name by Gregory Maguire, which is in turn inspired by L. Frank Baum’s classic, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” It tells the story of Glinda (the Good Witch of the North) and Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West), a pair of young witches who grew into two of Oz’s most powerful sorceresses.

“Wicked” is one of the most popular Broadway shows of all time, breaking box office records in New York and running in theaters across the globe. Over the past 12 years, over 44 million people have seen it.

The Arsht UTIX program, which allows students to get $20 tickets to the Arsht’s productions, will not cover “Wicked.” Instead, the lottery will be the primary method for students to get more affordable tickets.

Two and a half hours before each show, the Arsht will host a ticket lottery at the box office, during which anyone can enter their name for a chance to win $25 orchestra seats – which normally retail at $125. After 20 minutes, a small number of people will be chosen for this lucky opportunity.

There are a few other requirements. Tickets must be purchased in person and with cash, and they are limited to two per person. In addition, entrants must present a photo ID to be eligible.

The show runs through March 29, with performances at 8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, as well as additional shows at 2 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday.

Featured photo courtesy esocialworld.com. 

Madelyn Paquette

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...