Edge, Theater

‘Wicked’ opens with a lottery

Photo Courtesy esocialworld.com

Photo Courtesy esocialworld.com

Ask a group of college students to name their favorite Broadway show, and chances are “Wicked” will come up more than once.

Since its opening in 2003, the blockbuster musical has won the hearts of millions with its catchy tunes and imaginative story and is poised to gain even more fans with this month’s national tour stop at the Adrienne Arsht Center.

Tickets are a splurge, but if you’re feeling lucky and looking to save some green, the Arsht’s nightly lottery could be your ticket to the Emerald City.

For the uninitiated, “Wicked” is a Tony Award-winning musical based on the 1995 novel with the same name by Gregory Maguire, which is in turn inspired by L. Frank Baum’s classic, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” It tells the story of Glinda (the Good Witch of the North) and Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West), a pair of young witches who grew into two of Oz’s most powerful sorceresses.

“Wicked” is one of the most popular Broadway shows of all time, breaking box office records in New York and running in theaters across the globe. Over the past 12 years, over 44 million people have seen it.

The Arsht UTIX program, which allows students to get $20 tickets to the Arsht’s productions, will not cover “Wicked.” Instead, the lottery will be the primary method for students to get more affordable tickets.

Two and a half hours before each show, the Arsht will host a ticket lottery at the box office, during which anyone can enter their name for a chance to win $25 orchestra seats – which normally retail at $125. After 20 minutes, a small number of people will be chosen for this lucky opportunity.

There are a few other requirements. Tickets must be purchased in person and with cash, and they are limited to two per person. In addition, entrants must present a photo ID to be eligible.

The show runs through March 29, with performances at 8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, as well as additional shows at 2 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday.

Featured photo courtesy esocialworld.com. 

Madelyn Paquette

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...