Senate Recap: Selfie with your Senator, cigarette butt collection

Returning from Spring Break, Student Government’s (SG) Senate is seeing its programs come into fruition, as well as electing a new Speaker of the Senate.

• Catch senators in their polo’s next week to “Find Your Senator.” Students who find three senators, take a selfie and upload it to Facebook with #FindYourSenator will be entered into a submission for a raffle for several prizes.
  • University Affairs will try to get more mirrors to be put into the parking lot so cars can see if anyone is coming around the corner.
  • Category 5 is hosting an Olympic Sports double header. A tennis match at 3 p.m. on Friday will have giveaways such as headbands and squeeze balls. A track and field meet at 1 p.m. on Saturday will be giving out tank tops.
  • ECO Agency’s Earth Week will take place from April 13-17, featuring the ReUse store where students can leave and take used items.
  • As part of Be Smoke Free, there will be a cigarette butt collection taking place from 2-4 p.m. on Thursday, Mar. 19 in front of Richter Library.
  • More bike racks are being placed by Hecht-Stanford, Mahoney-Pearson and outside the SAC.
  • A bill was passed for the Spirit Programming Board to have one vice-chairperson appointed by the President and the other elected by students.
  • Jeffrey Sznapstajler will be the Speaker of the Senate for the 2015-16 academic year.

Senate takes place at 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday in the Senate room on the third floor of the Student Activities Center (SAC). Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com