News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Selfie with your Senator, cigarette butt collection

Returning from Spring Break, Student Government’s (SG) Senate is seeing its programs come into fruition, as well as electing a new Speaker of the Senate.

• Catch senators in their polo’s next week to “Find Your Senator.” Students who find three senators, take a selfie and upload it to Facebook with #FindYourSenator will be entered into a submission for a raffle for several prizes.
  • University Affairs will try to get more mirrors to be put into the parking lot so cars can see if anyone is coming around the corner.
  • Category 5 is hosting an Olympic Sports double header. A tennis match at 3 p.m. on Friday will have giveaways such as headbands and squeeze balls. A track and field meet at 1 p.m. on Saturday will be giving out tank tops.
  • ECO Agency’s Earth Week will take place from April 13-17, featuring the ReUse store where students can leave and take used items.
  • As part of Be Smoke Free, there will be a cigarette butt collection taking place from 2-4 p.m. on Thursday, Mar. 19 in front of Richter Library.
  • More bike racks are being placed by Hecht-Stanford, Mahoney-Pearson and outside the SAC.
  • A bill was passed for the Spirit Programming Board to have one vice-chairperson appointed by the President and the other elected by students.
  • Jeffrey Sznapstajler will be the Speaker of the Senate for the 2015-16 academic year.

Senate takes place at 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday in the Senate room on the third floor of the Student Activities Center (SAC). Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com

Alina Zerpa

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...