News Briefs 3/19

NEWS_selfie CLO

Alumnus Adrian Mesa takes a selfie with Sebastian on the Rock Wednesday, earning credit for UM’s “Tradition Keeper Program.” Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Women’s Leadership Symposium

The committee for Women’s Leadership Symposium is hosting a student-run conference supporting women’s empowerment from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. “Constructing You” will include networking with successful women in South Florida and workshops to explore various issues affecting society. Breakfast and lunch will be provided. The event is free for students. To register, visit tinyurl.com/ConstructingYou.

Warm-Up Pool Party

WVUM is making a splash. The on-campus radio station will be having a pool party to prepare for the Winter Music Conference with free food and ticket giveaways to events such as Ultra Music Festival. There will be guest DJs such as Australian producer Thomas Jack. For a chance to win tickets, register a team to participate in a pool volleyball tournament to pr@wvum.org. The event is free for all students and starts at 1 p.m. Saturday, Mar. 21 at the University Center Pool.

“First Step Fitness” Program

A new, six-week fitness orientation program that combines personal training, body composition assessments and nutritional information is now offered at the Wellness Center. Participants will be paired with a personal trainer and receive six 30-minute personal training sessions once a week. People will also receive a customized, detailed workout plan to use during and after the program has ended. The program is only for new and current members of the Wellness Center and costs $210 for students and $300 for non-student members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or e-mail wellnesscenter@miami.edu.

Donna E. Shalala MusicReach Program

The Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music is renaming its Frost MusicReach community music program in honor of UM President Donna E. Shalala. The Donna E. Shalala MusicReach Program, which is taught by UM students, provides free weekly hands-on music instruction to more than 450 elementary, middle and high school students in Miami-Dade County. The $1 million donation will help serve more than 1,500 kids.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...