Campus Life, News, Obituaries

Physics major, campus activist Aurora Ephraim passes away

On Monday afternoon, the university announced that junior Aurora Ephraim, 20, passed away. She died on March 15, according to Tribute.com, a local source for obituary news.

Ephraim was a physics major who lived in the University Village. She was originally from New Jersey.

She was also involved in several student organizations, including the American Society of Civil Engineers, National Organization for Women at UM (NOW) and Scientifica magazine. Additionally, she served as the former president of the Society of Physics Students (SPS).

“Aurora Ephraim was a dear friend to many here at the University of Miami. She brightened the hearts and souls of many,” said Tyler Katz, a sophomore member of SPS.

She was also a member of UPride, the LGBTQ organization on campus.

“She was a passionate member of our campus’s LGBTQ community and she was dearly loved by her fellow ‘Canes,” said Jacob Rudolph, UPride president.

In an email statement to the university community, President Donna E. Shalala expressed her condolences for the family.

There will be a vigil held in her honor at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Physics building patio. In case of rain, the memorial will be moved to the Wilder Auditorium.

University chaplains as well as the Counseling Center, which can be reached by calling 305-284-5511, are available to assist students.

Haynes Stephens contributed to this report.

This post was updated at 12:30 p.m. on March 19 to reflect a correction on vigil information. 

This post was updated at 11:10 a.m. on March 23 to include vigil details.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...