Campus Life, News, Obituaries

Physics major, campus activist Aurora Ephraim passes away

On Monday afternoon, the university announced that junior Aurora Ephraim, 20, passed away. She died on March 15, according to Tribute.com, a local source for obituary news.

Ephraim was a physics major who lived in the University Village. She was originally from New Jersey.

She was also involved in several student organizations, including the American Society of Civil Engineers, National Organization for Women at UM (NOW) and Scientifica magazine. Additionally, she served as the former president of the Society of Physics Students (SPS).

“Aurora Ephraim was a dear friend to many here at the University of Miami. She brightened the hearts and souls of many,” said Tyler Katz, a sophomore member of SPS.

She was also a member of UPride, the LGBTQ organization on campus.

“She was a passionate member of our campus’s LGBTQ community and she was dearly loved by her fellow ‘Canes,” said Jacob Rudolph, UPride president.

In an email statement to the university community, President Donna E. Shalala expressed her condolences for the family.

There will be a vigil held in her honor at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Physics building patio. In case of rain, the memorial will be moved to the Wilder Auditorium.

University chaplains as well as the Counseling Center, which can be reached by calling 305-284-5511, are available to assist students.

Haynes Stephens contributed to this report.

This post was updated at 12:30 p.m. on March 19 to reflect a correction on vigil information. 

This post was updated at 11:10 a.m. on March 23 to include vigil details.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...