Campus Life, News, Obituaries

Physics major, campus activist Aurora Ephraim passes away

On Monday afternoon, the university announced that junior Aurora Ephraim, 20, passed away. She died on March 15, according to Tribute.com, a local source for obituary news.

Ephraim was a physics major who lived in the University Village. She was originally from New Jersey.

She was also involved in several student organizations, including the American Society of Civil Engineers, National Organization for Women at UM (NOW) and Scientifica magazine. Additionally, she served as the former president of the Society of Physics Students (SPS).

“Aurora Ephraim was a dear friend to many here at the University of Miami. She brightened the hearts and souls of many,” said Tyler Katz, a sophomore member of SPS.

She was also a member of UPride, the LGBTQ organization on campus.

“She was a passionate member of our campus’s LGBTQ community and she was dearly loved by her fellow ‘Canes,” said Jacob Rudolph, UPride president.

In an email statement to the university community, President Donna E. Shalala expressed her condolences for the family.

There will be a vigil held in her honor at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Physics building patio. In case of rain, the memorial will be moved to the Wilder Auditorium.

University chaplains as well as the Counseling Center, which can be reached by calling 305-284-5511, are available to assist students.

Haynes Stephens contributed to this report.

This post was updated at 12:30 p.m. on March 19 to reflect a correction on vigil information. 

This post was updated at 11:10 a.m. on March 23 to include vigil details.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...