Edge Briefs 3/19

Jazz meets broadway

The Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra will perform classic songs by Broadway composers at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knight Concert Hall at the Adrienne Arsht Center. The Orchestra will play with two-time Emmy and five-time Grammy-nominated entertainer Michael Feinstein, and two-time Tony Award winner Christine Ebersole. This concert celebrates the intersection of jazz and Broadway, and Scott Favin will conduct.  For more information visit arshtcenter.org.

Pool party

Free food, live music, a volleyball tournament and ticket giveaways will be part of the WMC Pool Party from 1-5 p.m. Saturday at the UC Pool. The event is hosted by WVUM 90.5 fm, the student radio station. Australian DJ and producer Thomas Jack will perform. The event will feature giveaways to performances at Trade, Bardot, Treehouse Miami, Grand Central, The Electric Pickle, Soho Studios, STORY Nightclub and Ultra Music Festival. Entrance is free with a Cane Card. Learn more and RSVP at facebook.com/wvum905.

‘Mockingjay’

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1” will screen at 9:30 p.m. Saturday at the Cosford Cinema. The third installment in “The Hunger Games” series shows heroine Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 while she fights to save Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), who has been taken by The Capitol, and the future of Panem.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...