Edge Briefs 3/19

Jazz meets broadway

The Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra will perform classic songs by Broadway composers at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knight Concert Hall at the Adrienne Arsht Center. The Orchestra will play with two-time Emmy and five-time Grammy-nominated entertainer Michael Feinstein, and two-time Tony Award winner Christine Ebersole. This concert celebrates the intersection of jazz and Broadway, and Scott Favin will conduct.  For more information visit arshtcenter.org.

Pool party

Free food, live music, a volleyball tournament and ticket giveaways will be part of the WMC Pool Party from 1-5 p.m. Saturday at the UC Pool. The event is hosted by WVUM 90.5 fm, the student radio station. Australian DJ and producer Thomas Jack will perform. The event will feature giveaways to performances at Trade, Bardot, Treehouse Miami, Grand Central, The Electric Pickle, Soho Studios, STORY Nightclub and Ultra Music Festival. Entrance is free with a Cane Card. Learn more and RSVP at facebook.com/wvum905.

‘Mockingjay’

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1” will screen at 9:30 p.m. Saturday at the Cosford Cinema. The third installment in “The Hunger Games” series shows heroine Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 while she fights to save Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), who has been taken by The Capitol, and the future of Panem.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...