Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes’ hot hitting continues with win over Black Knights

Sophomore left handed pitcher Danny Garcia (No. 14) throws to an Army batter. Garcia (4-0) only allowed one run in the 7 innings he pitched, helping the Hurricanes win Tuesday night’s game held at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field 9-1. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

For Miami head coach Jim Morris, the game against Army means more than baseball.

“I respect what they’re doing,” he said. “They played hard and are well-coached and it’s an honor to go out there and play against them.”

But when the lights came on at The Light on Tuesday, the Hurricanes came full force. With three home runs, two from third baseman David Thompson and one from infielder George Iskenderian, Miami easily beat the Black Knights 9-1.

Thompson’s two homers, one of which was a grand slam, ties his career-high six home runs he set his freshman season.

Iskenderian’s hit came in the fourth inning and gave Miami (16-6) its last runs.

Army (9-5) put the first run on the board in the second inning. Sophomore Alex Dickerson hit a single that brought home senior Mark McCants from second base. The Black Knights were threatening again in the next inning and had a runner on first and third with two outs. Freshman Jon Rosoff hit a grounder that dribbled down centerfield, but Iskenderian snatched it up and threw a bullet to get Rosoff out at first.

“At that time, it was a tie ballgame, so it was a big play and it was a good play,” Morris said.

Pitcher Danny Garcia (4-0) got the win in seven innings, two outs shy of his career-high against Barry last month. Against Army, he allowed six hits and the one run was earned.

Pitcher Derik Beauprez came on the mound in relief for Garcia and got three straight outs in the eighth. Pitcher Ryan Otero closed and sealed the win for Miami.

“I’m confident with my fellow pitchers,” Garcia said.

Miami outhit Army 9-6. Two errors from the Black Knights didn’t help either. It utilized five pitchers, and pitcher Patrick Gardner (2-1) finished with the loss.

Victoria Hernandez

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...