Spring break adventures take students to new coordinates

Though movies repeatedly recreate spring break scenes with endless parties, this year’s spring break provided more for University of Miami students, many of whom traveled for fun and unexpected surprises.

Freshman Carlen Dickerson, a broadcast journalism major and novice breaker, traveled to Bimini in the Bahamas with four other UM students during spring break to take part in the wild week planned by STFU & Party, a promotional company catered to college students.

“We’d go and party all day, party all night, and go to sleep at like 4 or 5 a.m.,” Dickerson said.

Bimini buzzes with Miami tourists because it is only 53 miles away from South Florida, serving as the closest end of the Bahamas to the U.S. mainland. However, its proximity and popularity have made Bimini overly expensive, Dickerson said.

“It was beautiful, but I would never ever go back. … The only thing I ate the entire time I was there was a $17 panini, because the food was so expensive,” she said.

Dickerson saw the tropical island as an opportunity to get creative with her sustenance. Her villa was located near the beach, so a typical Bimini morning involved shell hunting, but Dickerson also found a coconut one day – her favorite moment during a stressful trip, she said.

“I found a coconut on the ground, found a sharp rock and made a hole in the coconut, added some rum and some ice, and had my own coconut drink made from scratch,” Dickerson said.

Meanwhile, in a place with much cooler temperatures and larger population, junior Maria Claudia made her way to a life milestone: an engagement.

Claudia, an architecture student from Brazil, was visiting New York City with her boyfriend of nearly six years, where he had planned a trip to the top of the Empire State Building to watch the sun go down over the city.

“I’m an architecture major, so I really like this kind of thing,” Claudia said. “He started to ask me a lot of questions.”

“Are you happy? Are you 100 percent happy? How can you be happier?” he questioned her.

Claudia said she had no idea he was planning to propose then and there, but he took her shyness about public displays of affection into consideration.

“He asked me to close my eyes and open my hand. … He put the opened little box on my hand and said the famous phrase,” Claudia said. “I was like, ‘Oh my god!’”

According to Claudia, she didn’t say anything when her fiancé proposed because she was in shock. It was only when he nervously said he was waiting for her answer that she accepted.

“I’m not so romantic, but my fiancé is the best at doing beautiful things,” Claudia said. “I loved every single detail.”

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...