Athletics, Sports

Data Viz: UM has third highest head coach salary gap in Florida

The University of Miami has the third highest head coach salary gap – the difference between the average coach salary for men’s and women’s sports — in the state of Florida, after University of Florida and Florida State.

The national average salary for men’s team coaches is almost four times more than that of women’s team coaches ($39,000 for men, and $10,000 for women).

At University of Colorado at Boulder, University of Kansas, Baylor University and University of Texas at Austin, men’s team head coaches make at least $200,000 more on average.

The gap in operating expenses per participant between men and women’s teams is $62,442 at UM, the second highest in the state behind FSU.

Florida Gulf Coast University has the lowest operating expense gap, with $2,033 spent on women. UF’s operating gap favors women’s teams, spending $12,897 more on women.

When it comes to athletic-related student aid, UF evenly split its spending down the middle. At UM, 42 percent of athletic-related student aid goes toward women.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Data Viz: UM has third highest head coach salary gap in Florida”

1. AJ Ricketts says:

Earlier today – someone used my login info to post a nasty and condescending comment.

The post will be looked into. Further attempts are discouraged.

– AJ Ricketts.

2. Nathan Skinner says:

Bill, you realize that at most major schools, the schools themselves aren’t paying the salaries, right? At places like Alabama, Florida, and Texas, the booster associations are paying the majority of the salaries, hence why the listed salary is usually significantly less. For example, the boosters at Alabama bought Nick Saban’s home, allowing Saban to live rent free. That’s a big perk. Now don’t get me wrong, I think that college sports are a farce at times, and significant reforms are needed, but let’s not forget that it’s the dunderhead football players that make the rowing team possible, that make the women’s basketball team possible. Whether we like it or not, people like Saban, John Calipari, and others are overseeing programs that are turning enormous profits, , profits that are used to further the athletic dreams of student-athletes who aren’t playing on national TV every week.

These stats are misleading, and like the classic “Women make 70 cents to every dollar earned by men” statistic are example of political hacks using shoddy numbers to make a point. Female coaches make less than men for a simple reason: PEOPLE PAY FOR WHAT THEY LIKE. I’m willing to bet that Tara Vanderveer and Geno Auriemma are making what big time coaches are making, because they oversee outstanding programs that generate interest. Whether we want to admit it or not, there’s few women’s sports that attract enough interest to where an athletic department can justify spending outrageous sums on it. If Title IX didn’t exist, it’s safe to say that most women’s athletic programs would wither and die, the interest is iffy in some areas. There’s a reason why the Little League World Series draws more than the WNBA Finals.

3. Bill Harrison says:

Admittedly, I am not a sports fanatic; however, I find the salaries of University CEOs and upper management AND the salaries of MOST university and professional coaches to be absurdly ridiculous. That in particular a a BIG REASON for the obnoiously high tuition costs. Sports is primarialy just ENTERTAINMENT, and not much else. How many rather errant university and professional players are TERRIBLE role models. University sports is a BUSINESS; but the profits substantially go to the CEOs, the coaches, and promoting and maintaining the programs. I find it all to be an irrational absurdity.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...