Athletics, Sports

Data Viz: UM has third highest head coach salary gap in Florida

The University of Miami has the third highest head coach salary gap – the difference between the average coach salary for men’s and women’s sports — in the state of Florida, after University of Florida and Florida State.

The national average salary for men’s team coaches is almost four times more than that of women’s team coaches ($39,000 for men, and $10,000 for women).

At University of Colorado at Boulder, University of Kansas, Baylor University and University of Texas at Austin, men’s team head coaches make at least $200,000 more on average.

The gap in operating expenses per participant between men and women’s teams is $62,442 at UM, the second highest in the state behind FSU.

Florida Gulf Coast University has the lowest operating expense gap, with $2,033 spent on women. UF’s operating gap favors women’s teams, spending $12,897 more on women.

When it comes to athletic-related student aid, UF evenly split its spending down the middle. At UM, 42 percent of athletic-related student aid goes toward women.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...