CGIU, News

CGIU conference showcases power of big data

The Clinton Global Initiative University’s “The Power of Big Data” event addressed data, data and more data.

Held in the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center, the event showcased how big data is making a big impact.

Opening the event, Clinton Foundation Vice Chair Chelsea Clinton introduced students from around the country who have launched initiatives.

“Young people are usually viewed as future leaders, but the truth is that a lot of them are innovators, disruptors and leaders today,” Clinton said.

One showcased initiative, FreshSpire, works to reduce the amount of food wasted by homes, restaurants and stores. With daily texts and a newsfeed, it informs consumers about grocery store food nearing its expiration date. The initiative was represented by Mona Amin of East Carolina University and Jennifer Wu of the University of Pennsylvania.

Following Clinton’s remarks, Hans Rosling, founder of the Gapminder Foundation, gave a presentation about people’s perception of the world through data.

An interactive quiz allowed the audience to submit answers to Rosling’s questions about world statistics, like what percentage of children are vaccinated worldwide. Results showed that a majority of the audience perceived the world as worse than it really is, according to collected data.

Rosling explained the importance of an accurate perception of the world.

“If you don’t know the present, you can’t think about the future,” he said.

A panel consisting of Intel Corporation Senior Vice President Diane Bryant, Knight Foundation Director of Media Innovation Christopher Barr, and Cloud4Cancer’s founder and Duke University student Brittany Wenger discussed the role of big data in society. Clinton moderated the discussion.

“Data is the currency for the digital world, but it’s so much more valuable if you’re willing to share it,” Bryant said.

Manoj Kanagaraj, a junior from Duke University, believes that big data will lead to big changes.

“Our generation is going to be the first generation to really harness that knowledge,” he said.

Sherman Hewitt

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...