Community, News

University to build three more bridges across campus

Just a few weeks after receiving approval on two permits to build two separate bridges over waterways on its campus, the University of Miami has received approval for three additional bridges to be built over campus waterways. The Miami-Dade County Board of Commissioners voted 10 to zero to approve the permit application at Tuesday’s meeting.

The bridges, two vehicular and one pedestrian, will be built in conjunction with the Lennar Foundation Medical Center. According to the permit application, the entirety of the construction, which will include work with the canals as they build over them, will cost “$1,000,000+.”

The permit application shows a valet drop-off area that would be placed in front of the medical center on the side of Ponce de Leon Boulevard, and the pedestrian bridge would cross over the canal from there to the front of Ponce Garage. Another valet area would be behind the medical center, with one vehicular bridge stretching to Dickinson Drive, and the other spanning the University of Miami canal to the back of the Ponce Garage.

According to Associate Vice President of Campus Planning and Development Janet Gavarrete, the bridges will be completed along with the medical center late in the fall of 2016.

The permit application is public record and can be found at the following address: miamidade.gov/govaction/legistarfiles/Matters/Y2015/150383.pdf.  

William Riggin

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...