Community, News

University to build three more bridges across campus

Just a few weeks after receiving approval on two permits to build two separate bridges over waterways on its campus, the University of Miami has received approval for three additional bridges to be built over campus waterways. The Miami-Dade County Board of Commissioners voted 10 to zero to approve the permit application at Tuesday’s meeting.

The bridges, two vehicular and one pedestrian, will be built in conjunction with the Lennar Foundation Medical Center. According to the permit application, the entirety of the construction, which will include work with the canals as they build over them, will cost “$1,000,000+.”

The permit application shows a valet drop-off area that would be placed in front of the medical center on the side of Ponce de Leon Boulevard, and the pedestrian bridge would cross over the canal from there to the front of Ponce Garage. Another valet area would be behind the medical center, with one vehicular bridge stretching to Dickinson Drive, and the other spanning the University of Miami canal to the back of the Ponce Garage.

According to Associate Vice President of Campus Planning and Development Janet Gavarrete, the bridges will be completed along with the medical center late in the fall of 2016.

The permit application is public record and can be found at the following address: miamidade.gov/govaction/legistarfiles/Matters/Y2015/150383.pdf.  

William Riggin

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...