Basketball, Sports

Canes win sans captain’s support

Redshirt Junior Angel Rodriguez during February's game against Louisville. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Redshirt Junior Angel Rodriguez during February’s game against Louisville. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

An air of uncertainty surrounded the Miami Hurricanes matchup against the Pittsburgh Panthers on Wednesday night. Two of Miami’s key players were listed as injured, and the team’s season outlook remained unclear.

Despite setbacks, the Canes were able to pull off a 67-63 win over the Panthers, led by Sheldon McClellan and Davon Reed, who tied his career-high of 19 points. Miami improved to 19-11 overall and 9-8 in the ACC.

On Feb. 25, team captain Angel Rodriguez sustained a wrist injury while taking a charge against Florida State, but he still remained in the game. In the Hurricanes’ subsequent game against North Carolina, however, he played for only three minutes.

The Hurricanes went on to lose against North Carolina Saturday a hit to the Canes’ run at the NCAA tournament.

To make matters worse, leading scorer McClellan also sustained a groin injury. He still started Wednesday night’s game against Pittsburgh (19-12, 8-9 ACC).

McClellan and Rodriguez are the team’s two leading scorers.  The team has struggled when both players were off the court.

Despite poor performance in the first half, McClellan gained momentum in the second, surpassing Reed’s 19 points with 20 of his own. McClellan attempted 16 two-pointers and made six.

McClellan has been one of the best shooting guards in the nation this season, shooting 51 percent from the field.

In the first three minutes, the Canes jumped to a 7-0 lead, initiated by a three-pointer by Reed. Then, Panthers junior point guard James Robinson sunk a three-point jumper to put them on the board.

The Panthers continued a 9-0 run and Miami ultimately trailed for most of the first half. Miami kept the game close, with the Panthers leading 33-29 at halftime.

ACC leading rebounder Tonye Jekiri had 11 rebounds in the game. Reed dominated in the first half, leading the Canes with 12 points, which is significantly better than his average 7.3 points per game. He shot 7 of 8 from the field and 3 of 3 outside the arc.

This victory was the Hurricanes’ first win at Pittsburgh since 2000 and their first road win since Feb. 15.

The Canes will play their final season game on the road against Virginia Tech at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Courtney Fiorini

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...