News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap 3/4: Snapchat filter, dorm blueprints, Greek Extravaganza

Before students enjoy their spring break vacations, Student Government (SG) is preparing for events once campus is back in session.

• The Policy and Finance committee only has $1,600 left for semester co-sponsorship. There will be more of a focus on finances for SG.
  • The Academic Affairs committee will be finishing its improvements on the cognate search engine and Public Relations (PR) will work with advisers to send out a cognates FAQ to best help students with the process. Senators will also send the FAQ to their constituents.
  • PR is working with Richter Library to get graphics onto computer screens to promote Safe Ride, a transportation system to help students late at night.
  • University Affairs (UA) is still working on improvements to the take-out system in the dining halls and getting microwaves in the vending machine areas in Hecht and Stanford residential colleges.
  • Clear bags will also be distributed from the dorms for football season next semester, and the timing of the shuttle stop at the Ashe building will be improved.
  • UA is also working with ECO to give ideas to incorporate in the blueprints for the new Hecht and Stanford buildings that will be built.
    • Shower heads at a more appropriate height
    • Each dorm building will have a food option; for example, a Miami’s Best Pizza
    • More refillable water fountains like the ones already throughout campus
    • No classrooms in case of an emergency and the buildings need to be locked
    • Issues with lighting will be fixed so it is the same on all the floors
    • Possibility of group floor housing in case an organization or a chapter wants to live together
    • Bringing a cheap option like Wendy’s back on campus
  • Thursday is the last day for students who are taking research, a course or practicum for credit at the Miller School of Medicine, to pick up their metro passes. Contact Jesus Melendez at j.melendez4@umiami.edu, and then go to the Registrar’s office.
  • SG will have its own Snapchat filter coming soon.
  • Be Smoke Free Week will take place on campus the week after spring break to promote the smoke-free policy.
  • National Pan-Hellenic Council will receive $750 for “Greek Extravaganza” to help rent a stage for its stomp show. Teams consist of students from the nine historically African-American sororities and fraternities to perform a skit. The event is free and open for all students at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Mar. 29.

Alina Zerpa

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...