News Briefs 3/5

Junior Christian Perez, freshman Patricia Colon, junior Daniel Cantrelle and freshman Ashley Bahamonde (left to right) play a game of dominos on the Moss Terrace as part of  Week of Cuban Culture.

Junior Christian Perez, freshman Patricia Colon, junior Daniel Cantrelle and freshman Ashley Bahamonde (left to right) play a game of dominos on the Moss Terrace as part of  Week of Cuban Culture. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Carnegie Foundation Post-Baccalaureate Fellowship

The Carnegie Foundation Post-Baccalaureate Fellowship introduces recent college graduates to a two-year program about improving work in education, education policy, improvement science, research-practice partnerships, and collaborative networks. Benefits include networking and collaboration opportunities to work with leaders, a national conference, $38,500 annual compensation, relocation stipend to facilitate moving to the San Francisco Bay Area and use of Stanford facilities. Students interested must apply before Mar. 16 on tinyurl.com/CFoundation. For more information, contact the Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships at prestigiousawards@miami.edu.

The Crisis of Islamic Masculinities

Amanullah De Sondy, University of Miami Assistant Professor of Religious Studies, will present his book, The Crisis of Islamic Masculinities. De Sondy argues that constrainers of masculinity in the Islamic community have used God and women to think with and dominate. He connects the study of religion to the key themes of gender, ethnicity, race, and pluralism. The event is free and open to the public at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Mar. 18, at Books & Books, 265 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables, Fl 33134. For more information, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Help “The U” Improve

Over 5,000 University of Miami freshmen and seniors were selected to participate in a national web-based survey about their college experience. Students who completed the survey will be receiving a USB adapter with the UM logo. After completing the survey, students are entered in a raffle to win a 32GB iPad Mini; the winner of the iPad will be contacted directly in the beginning of April. To see the schedule to pick-up the USB adapters, visit tinyurl.com/USBPickUp.

Commencement Speaker

Students who are going to be undergraduate degree candidates for May 2015 are invited to apply to be the commencement student speaker. To apply, students must have a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher and must apply to graduate by Mar. 6. There must also be an essay, no more than 500 words, on “My legacy and the legacy of the Class of 2015”, a two minute video of the speech due by Mar. 18, two letters of recommendation and a biological information form. Applications must be submitted to Lexi Matiash at LMatiash@miami.edu by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Mar. 18. Finalists will interview with the selection committee by the first week of April. To apply, visit miami.edu/commencement.

White House Advisor

Vice President Joe Biden announced  the appointment of Carolina Bettinger-Lopez as the new White House Adviser on Violence Against Women, handling issues about domestic violence and sexual assault. As a leading advocate for gender-based equality and human rights at local, national, and international levels to bring an end to violence against women. She will collaborate with federal agencies to address violence against women and girls domestically and globally.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alina Zerpa

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...