Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes wrap up homestand with win over FGCU

The Hurricanes (9-4) held their annual matchup with the Marlins Tuesday, and held their own for three innings before the Marlins went off for six runs in the fourth. The Fish started many of their notable names, before replacing most in the third and fourth innings.

UM pitchers squared off against professionals like Ichiro Suzuki and Dee Gordon.

The names weren’t quite as big Wednesday night against FGCU, but Miami, led by Zack Collins’ 2-3 night, cruised by the Eagles, 7-3.

“It felt good tonight,” said Collins to HurricaneSports after the game. “I felt really good at the plate.”

Collins entered the game with a 1-18 slump at the plate to his name, but quickly broke out of it, launching a home run to center field on the first pitch he saw from FGCU’s Sterling Koerner.

Miami will now travel to Louisville to open up ACC play in a three-game series with the Cardinals, a program that has reached Omaha the past two seasons.

AJ Ricketts

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...