Golf, Sports

Hurricanes fall to Northwestern in home golf invite

The Northwestern University women’s golf team eased into Wednesday morning’s tee-off for the third and final round of the Hurricane Invitational with a big lead and didn’t relinquish it.

On a quiet sunny morning at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables, the Northwestern Wildcats relied on its 13-stroke lead entering the day as they shot their worst round of tournament. After shooting four and two shots below par in their first two rounds, the Wildcats shot over round over par in the tournament for the first time, shooting 13 strokes over.

The University of Miami Hurricanes came into the final round sitting in second place with the 13-stroke deficit to make up, but a strong round from senior Kailey Walsh wasn’t enough to close the huge gap.

Walsh shot two strokes below par as the only Hurricane to finish below par in the round, and finished as the Hurricanes best player by four shots, shooting one over par for a final score of 214.

Birdies on the first, third, seventh and eight holes were part of a terrific front nine for the senior. Walsh added two more birdies on the back nine, including one on the par-5 18th hole.

The Wildcats used a tournament-high 40 birdies to separate themselves from the pack, and were at their best on the hardest holes. On Par-5 holes the Wildcats shot an outstanding 14 shots below bar, five shots better than the next best team, Daytona State.

By contrast, the Hurricanes ended one over par on par-5 holes at their home course. Freshman Hannah Kim led the Wildcats shooting just one stroke over par or the event.

For Miami, a strong second round was not enough to offset a first round in which they shot seven strokes over par, and a final round with a score of six strokes over.

Senior Rika Park and Sophomore Daniela Darquea were keys to the team’s good second round, hitting two shots and one shot below par, respectively. Park finished five over par while Darquea managed to finish six over par after struggling in the first round.

Daytona State finished tied for tenth place despite having the individual scoring leader in Tiffany Chan, who was the only golfer to finish the tournament below par, at one under.

The Hurricanes have now finished inside the top five in three events. Their next competition comes on March 16 as they head to Houston for the University of Houston Match Play competition, a one-day event.

William Riggin

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...