Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Track earns strong finish at ACC Indoor Championships

Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley and senior Christian Cook led the University of Miami track team to a strong finish at the ACC Indoor Championships in Blacksburg, Va. over the weekend. At the championships, the women placed seventh overall and the men placed eighth.

Wimbley defended her 200m Indoor ACC crown with a personal best time of 23.08 seconds, a time that ranks third in UM history. Wimbley’s previous personal best was 23.35 seconds, .27 seconds slower than her new record. The sophomore star also finished second in the women’s 400m to cap off a strong weekend.

Cook finished first in the men’s 60m hurdles with a time of 7.79 seconds. Cook’s time broke his own personal record of 7.82 seconds and gave him the third-fastest time in UM history. With Cook’s performance, Miami has now won the men’s 60m hurdles championship for an astounding fifth time in seven years at the ACC Indoor Championships.

Junior jumper John-Patrick Friday tied for third in the high jump, breaking his own school record in the event with a jump of 2.11m. Friday also finished fifth in the men’s triple jump, covering a distance of 15.50m and in the long jump with a mark of 7.40m.

Redshirt junior Lea Johnson defended her ACC Indoor title in the weight throw with a distance of 21.45m, placing her in second in the UM record books. The St. Louis native finally broke the 21m plateau and will be going to nationals. Thrower Tiffany Okieme placed third in the event with a mark of 21.16m.

Sophomore Carlos Mangum set a new school record in the men’s weight throw with a distance of 19.95m and finished fifth in the event.

The combination of Kelsey Balkwill, Taneisha Cordell, Anthonia Moore and Wimbley finished third in the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:38.14. Their male counterpart team of Robert Grant, Henri Delauze, Josh Johnson and Cook placed eighth with a time of 3:15.08.

In addition to running on the women’s 4x400m relay team, senior Cordell finished eighth in the women’s 800m final. Cordell ran a time of 2:16.14 in the final, but ran 2:08.50 in the prelims. ​

Mark Poulose

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...