Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s basketball drops senior day matchup with Florida State

Senior Necole Sterling attempts a shot during Sunday's game against FSU held at the BankUnited Center. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Senior Necole Sterling attempts a shot during Sunday’s game against FSU held at the BankUnited Center. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Despite a resilient 15-3 run in the second half, the Miami Hurricanes could not overcome a 22-point deficit, as No. 9 Florida State continued one of its most impressive seasons in school history with a 69-55 victory.

“That deficit at halftime was something that is daunting, and to come back and to cut it and get ourselves in a position to make that a competitive game was a heck of a lot of effort,” coach Katie Meier said post-game. “We’ll rest up on Monday, and then we’ll get ready for Virginia [in the ACC Tournament].”

The Hurricanes (18-10, 8-8 ACC) were led by Adrienne Motley, who scored 20 points and has now scored in double figures in 26 of 28 games this season. Maegan Conwright led the Seminoles (27-3, 14-2) with 17 points, one of four FSU players in double figures on the game.

Miami honored seniors Jassany Williams, Suriya McGuire and Necole Sterling pre-game, each of whom has been vital to the Hurricanes success this season.

“It’s been amazing because their journeys here are just all so different. I’ve never had a senior class with such a diverse journey,” Meier said of the group. “We get Ray out of Minnesota and then Jazz we lose [as a high school recruit]and we get her back and then Necole we get her via/via two schools. So the diversity of them and what they bring to the table [is amazing]. They’re three very, very special young ladies [with]bright futures ahead of them.”

Williams transferred to Miami after a stint at Auburn, and Sterling came to Miami from Gulf Coast Community College. Williams recorded five blocks on the game, surpassing 200 for her career.

Win or lose, Miami had secured the eight seed in the ACC Tournament, taking place this week in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The Hurricanes will open up against nine seed Virginia Thursday afternoon, with the winner advancing to play top-seed Notre Dame on Friday. Miami is the only team in the ACC to defeat Notre Dame this season, defeating the Irish by 15 earlier in January, 78-63.

WVUM.org and The Miami Hurricane will have live coverage of Miami’s run at the ACC Tournament, with regional affiliates carrying the first two rounds as well, and the ESPN family of networks for the final two rounds.

AJ Ricketts

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...