Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s basketball drops senior day matchup with Florida State

Senior Necole Sterling attempts a shot during Sunday's game against FSU held at the BankUnited Center. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Senior Necole Sterling attempts a shot during Sunday’s game against FSU held at the BankUnited Center. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Despite a resilient 15-3 run in the second half, the Miami Hurricanes could not overcome a 22-point deficit, as No. 9 Florida State continued one of its most impressive seasons in school history with a 69-55 victory.

“That deficit at halftime was something that is daunting, and to come back and to cut it and get ourselves in a position to make that a competitive game was a heck of a lot of effort,” coach Katie Meier said post-game. “We’ll rest up on Monday, and then we’ll get ready for Virginia [in the ACC Tournament].”

The Hurricanes (18-10, 8-8 ACC) were led by Adrienne Motley, who scored 20 points and has now scored in double figures in 26 of 28 games this season. Maegan Conwright led the Seminoles (27-3, 14-2) with 17 points, one of four FSU players in double figures on the game.

Miami honored seniors Jassany Williams, Suriya McGuire and Necole Sterling pre-game, each of whom has been vital to the Hurricanes success this season.

“It’s been amazing because their journeys here are just all so different. I’ve never had a senior class with such a diverse journey,” Meier said of the group. “We get Ray out of Minnesota and then Jazz we lose [as a high school recruit]and we get her back and then Necole we get her via/via two schools. So the diversity of them and what they bring to the table [is amazing]. They’re three very, very special young ladies [with]bright futures ahead of them.”

Williams transferred to Miami after a stint at Auburn, and Sterling came to Miami from Gulf Coast Community College. Williams recorded five blocks on the game, surpassing 200 for her career.

Win or lose, Miami had secured the eight seed in the ACC Tournament, taking place this week in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The Hurricanes will open up against nine seed Virginia Thursday afternoon, with the winner advancing to play top-seed Notre Dame on Friday. Miami is the only team in the ACC to defeat Notre Dame this season, defeating the Irish by 15 earlier in January, 78-63.

WVUM.org and The Miami Hurricane will have live coverage of Miami’s run at the ACC Tournament, with regional affiliates carrying the first two rounds as well, and the ESPN family of networks for the final two rounds.

AJ Ricketts

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...