Edge, Food

A local taste of Cuba

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Though Cuba is located about 90 miles away, living in the heart of Miami means you’re never more than a few blocks from great Cuban food. From the savory meat dishes to the sweet flan, Miami is a city built on arroz y frijoles and fueled by cafe cubano. Authentic cuisine is full of rich and comforting flavors that together create its own sazon.

With so many dishes to try, there are a few must-haves that are essential to the true Cuban cuisine experience. Here are the top 10 Cuban foods to try before leaving Miami.

• Cuban coffee – This term encompasses anything from a cortadito – Cuban espresso with milk–  to cafe con leche, which is best served for breakfast with a side of toast or tostada.
  • Cuban sandwich – The signature lunch made of ham, pork, mustard and pickles served on Cuban bread toasted to perfection.
  • Pan con Lechon – A sandwich of crisp Cuban bread, melt-in-your-mouth pork, onions and mojo.
  • Ropa Vieja – Pulled beef tossed in a tomato sauce. The dish translates to “old clothes” because the meat is shredded and looks like rags.
  • Bistec Empanizado – This dish usually comes in one size: huge. Portion control is not an option here because this breaded steak dish is served up family-style with plenty of side dishes.
  • Croquetas – Lightly breaded food rolls that can be made with ham, chicken or fish, making them the perfect finger foods.
  • Pastelitos and Bocaditos – Light pastries and sandwiches usually served at every kind of family gathering from communions to quinceaneras. Pastelitos come in flavors like meat, cheese and guayaba and bocaditos can be made with a ham spread or with ham, swiss cheese and a pickle.
  • Frita – Think Cuban hamburger, but instead of all beef, chorizo is thrown into the mix to spice things up. Finish it off by topping it with shoestring potato sticks.
  • Arroz con pollo – Every abuela has her own recipe for this comforting staple. Yellow rice, chicken and spices combine to make a no-frills, satisfying meal.
  • Flan – This rich custard is glazed with a sweet caramel sauce and is the quintessential dessert.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...