Edge, Food

A local taste of Cuba

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Though Cuba is located about 90 miles away, living in the heart of Miami means you’re never more than a few blocks from great Cuban food. From the savory meat dishes to the sweet flan, Miami is a city built on arroz y frijoles and fueled by cafe cubano. Authentic cuisine is full of rich and comforting flavors that together create its own sazon.

With so many dishes to try, there are a few must-haves that are essential to the true Cuban cuisine experience. Here are the top 10 Cuban foods to try before leaving Miami.

• Cuban coffee – This term encompasses anything from a cortadito – Cuban espresso with milk–  to cafe con leche, which is best served for breakfast with a side of toast or tostada.
  • Cuban sandwich – The signature lunch made of ham, pork, mustard and pickles served on Cuban bread toasted to perfection.
  • Pan con Lechon – A sandwich of crisp Cuban bread, melt-in-your-mouth pork, onions and mojo.
  • Ropa Vieja – Pulled beef tossed in a tomato sauce. The dish translates to “old clothes” because the meat is shredded and looks like rags.
  • Bistec Empanizado – This dish usually comes in one size: huge. Portion control is not an option here because this breaded steak dish is served up family-style with plenty of side dishes.
  • Croquetas – Lightly breaded food rolls that can be made with ham, chicken or fish, making them the perfect finger foods.
  • Pastelitos and Bocaditos – Light pastries and sandwiches usually served at every kind of family gathering from communions to quinceaneras. Pastelitos come in flavors like meat, cheese and guayaba and bocaditos can be made with a ham spread or with ham, swiss cheese and a pickle.
  • Frita – Think Cuban hamburger, but instead of all beef, chorizo is thrown into the mix to spice things up. Finish it off by topping it with shoestring potato sticks.
  • Arroz con pollo – Every abuela has her own recipe for this comforting staple. Yellow rice, chicken and spices combine to make a no-frills, satisfying meal.
  • Flan – This rich custard is glazed with a sweet caramel sauce and is the quintessential dessert.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “A local taste of Cuba”

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...