Campus Life, News

Week of Cuban Culture kicks off

Rosa and Eduardo of the Cuban musical group, Duo Tropical, hit the drums on the rock while students tried a variety of Cuban soft drinks, played games, and learned history. Holly Bensur // Staff Photographer

In a celebration of Cuban culture, the University of Miami’s Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) has planned a weeklong series of events to promote Cuban culture through food, art and music.

The week officially kicked off Friday with opening ceremonies and a trip to the baseball game, followed by a barbecue on the Green on the weekend. This week, the events continue with a forum, fashion show, friendly domino competition and a Cuban carnival.

“Our goal for the week every year is to reach more people and make our event reach an even wider audience,” said junior Daniela Lorenzo, vice president and president-elect for FEC. “We want the UM community to really learn about and appreciate our culture, outside of its politics.”

Throughout the week, FEC will be collecting children’s books at each of its events for Chapman Partnership, a nonprofit that empowers the homeless in South Florida.

The first event of the week will be Abuelita’s Breakfast, a traditional Cuban breakfast at the Rock Monday from 9 a.m. to noon. Then, at 6:30 p.m., a Pedro Pan Exodus Forum will be held at the Student Activities Center (SAC) Activities Room. The forum will explore the Pedro Pan Exodus from Cuba and present Cuban history from Pedro Pan children presenting their experiences. There will be a question-and-answer session.

Guayabera designs will be modeled by student leaders and administration on Tuesday in the “Azucar” and Fashion show, which will feature a guayabera showcase in addition to traditional desserts and baked goods from Cuban culture. The event begins at noon on the Rock.

That night, “Scarface” will screen at 8 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. A reception with FEC will be held before the screening. The event is free for students with a Cane Card.

Wednesday will promote Cuban culture and history with “Discover Cuba,” a chance for students to visit a variety of stations on Cuba and see live cooking demonstrations. It begins at noon on the Rock. “Domino Ef-FEC-t,” a domino tournament with prizes, will be held at 6 p.m. in the SAC Moss Terrace.

The festivities will conclude Thursday with a “Cuban Carnaval,” the week’s largest event. It will feature vendors from the community displaying Cuban art and artifacts, and food will be served. The carnival begins at noon on the Rock.

Emily Dabau

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...