Campus Life, News

Week of Cuban Culture kicks off

Rosa and Eduardo of the Cuban musical group, Duo Tropical, hit the drums on the rock while students tried a variety of Cuban soft drinks, played games, and learned history. Holly Bensur // Staff Photographer

In a celebration of Cuban culture, the University of Miami’s Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) has planned a weeklong series of events to promote Cuban culture through food, art and music.

The week officially kicked off Friday with opening ceremonies and a trip to the baseball game, followed by a barbecue on the Green on the weekend. This week, the events continue with a forum, fashion show, friendly domino competition and a Cuban carnival.

“Our goal for the week every year is to reach more people and make our event reach an even wider audience,” said junior Daniela Lorenzo, vice president and president-elect for FEC. “We want the UM community to really learn about and appreciate our culture, outside of its politics.”

Throughout the week, FEC will be collecting children’s books at each of its events for Chapman Partnership, a nonprofit that empowers the homeless in South Florida.

The first event of the week will be Abuelita’s Breakfast, a traditional Cuban breakfast at the Rock Monday from 9 a.m. to noon. Then, at 6:30 p.m., a Pedro Pan Exodus Forum will be held at the Student Activities Center (SAC) Activities Room. The forum will explore the Pedro Pan Exodus from Cuba and present Cuban history from Pedro Pan children presenting their experiences. There will be a question-and-answer session.

Guayabera designs will be modeled by student leaders and administration on Tuesday in the “Azucar” and Fashion show, which will feature a guayabera showcase in addition to traditional desserts and baked goods from Cuban culture. The event begins at noon on the Rock.

That night, “Scarface” will screen at 8 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. A reception with FEC will be held before the screening. The event is free for students with a Cane Card.

Wednesday will promote Cuban culture and history with “Discover Cuba,” a chance for students to visit a variety of stations on Cuba and see live cooking demonstrations. It begins at noon on the Rock. “Domino Ef-FEC-t,” a domino tournament with prizes, will be held at 6 p.m. in the SAC Moss Terrace.

The festivities will conclude Thursday with a “Cuban Carnaval,” the week’s largest event. It will feature vendors from the community displaying Cuban art and artifacts, and food will be served. The carnival begins at noon on the Rock.

Emily Dabau

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...