Athletics, Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 2/3

GOLF

The Hurricanes women’s golf team will host the 2015 Hurricane Invitational this week at the par-71 Biltmore Golf Course. The three-day event begins Monday. Sophomore Daniela Darquea, the defending champion, will lead the Canes’ lineup, which includes Leticia Ras-Anderica, Kailey Walsh, Rika Park and Delfina Acosta. The Canes placed seventh at the 2015 UCF Challenge back on Feb. 10, during their last competition. The competing teams include Daytona State, East Carolina, Campbell, Iowa State, Illinois, Kennesaw State, Louisville, Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Florida and Miami.

TRACK AND FIELD

The 2015 ACC Indoor Championships proved successful for the Hurricanes as they walked away with a pair of gold medal performances. Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley won gold in the women’s 200m, with a personal-best time of 23.08 that ranks third in UM history. She scored her second medal of the day and broke the previous ACC Indoor Championships mark of 23.16 set by Miami’s Murielle Ahoure in 2009. Wimbley was successful in defending her 2014 gold medal in the same event. Senior Christian Cook earned a gold medal in the men’s 60m hurdles, running a personal-best time of 7.79 seconds that ranks third in UM history. The Canes claimed the ACC Championship men’s 60-meter hurdles gold medal for the fifth time in seven seasons.

MEN’S TENNIS

The Hurricanes men’s tennis doubleheader versus Bethune-Cookman has been canceled due to rainy conditions at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Saturday. The match will be rescheduled at a later date. In the first match, the Canes won the doubles point over the Wildcats, but then the game was stopped for rain. Miami hosts George Washington  at 2 p.m. Friday and will kick off ACC competition  against Georgia Tech at 12 p.m. Sunday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...