Athletics, Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 2/3

GOLF

The Hurricanes women’s golf team will host the 2015 Hurricane Invitational this week at the par-71 Biltmore Golf Course. The three-day event begins Monday. Sophomore Daniela Darquea, the defending champion, will lead the Canes’ lineup, which includes Leticia Ras-Anderica, Kailey Walsh, Rika Park and Delfina Acosta. The Canes placed seventh at the 2015 UCF Challenge back on Feb. 10, during their last competition. The competing teams include Daytona State, East Carolina, Campbell, Iowa State, Illinois, Kennesaw State, Louisville, Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Florida and Miami.

TRACK AND FIELD

The 2015 ACC Indoor Championships proved successful for the Hurricanes as they walked away with a pair of gold medal performances. Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley won gold in the women’s 200m, with a personal-best time of 23.08 that ranks third in UM history. She scored her second medal of the day and broke the previous ACC Indoor Championships mark of 23.16 set by Miami’s Murielle Ahoure in 2009. Wimbley was successful in defending her 2014 gold medal in the same event. Senior Christian Cook earned a gold medal in the men’s 60m hurdles, running a personal-best time of 7.79 seconds that ranks third in UM history. The Canes claimed the ACC Championship men’s 60-meter hurdles gold medal for the fifth time in seven seasons.

MEN’S TENNIS

The Hurricanes men’s tennis doubleheader versus Bethune-Cookman has been canceled due to rainy conditions at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Saturday. The match will be rescheduled at a later date. In the first match, the Canes won the doubles point over the Wildcats, but then the game was stopped for rain. Miami hosts George Washington  at 2 p.m. Friday and will kick off ACC competition  against Georgia Tech at 12 p.m. Sunday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports Briefs 2/3”

1. vanessa says:

do you have soccer ?

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...