News Briefs 3/2

Students camped out Friday night on the Larrañaga Lawn in preparation for the final men's basketball team's home game. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Alex McGuire sets up his tent to camp out on the Larrañaga Lawn Friday night. Students who camped out gained priority access to the final men’s basketball team’s home game on Saturday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Fashion Poet

Miami’s top fashion blogger, Annie Vazquez, will be joining the Media Management Association to talk about how she dominated the online blog scene. Her blog, “The Fashion Poet,” has been featured in Vogue, Marie Claire and the TODAY show. The event is free for all students and snacks will be provided at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 3 in Communication International Building (CIB) 2055.

Orientation

Orientation Fellows assist new students and families during Orientation to learn about resources and campus and to become a part of the UM community. Students interested in getting involved can apply at tinyurl.com/UMOFapp until noon Friday, March 6.

Safe Spring Break

Students who post pictures practicing safe spring break tips on social media using #UMSSB15 will be entered to win a $100 gift card to the UM Bookstore. For more information on how to have a safe spring break, visit miami.edu/safespringbreak.

Honor Council

The Honor Council is a body of 29 undergraduate students accepting applications to be part of a group of students dedicated to upholding the Honor Code and educating the student body about academic integrity. The council investigates cases and assesses the appropriate penalties for students who violate the Honor Code. Applications can be found on tinyurl.com/HonorCouncil2015 and are due at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 6. For more information contact Rahul Sheth at r.sheth@umiami.edu.

Greek Week Winners

Greek Week came to a close Saturday.  The orange team – Delta Phi Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Phi and Zeta Beta Tau – took first place, second place went to the purple team – Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Phi Mu Alpha– and the red team – Zeta Tau Alpha, Kappa Sigma and Delta Lambda Phi – came in third place.

The week’s events raised more than $35,000 for United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida. Last year’s Greek Week raised more than $30,000. 

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...