News Briefs 3/2

Students camped out Friday night on the Larrañaga Lawn in preparation for the final men's basketball team's home game. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Alex McGuire sets up his tent to camp out on the Larrañaga Lawn Friday night. Students who camped out gained priority access to the final men’s basketball team’s home game on Saturday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Fashion Poet

Miami’s top fashion blogger, Annie Vazquez, will be joining the Media Management Association to talk about how she dominated the online blog scene. Her blog, “The Fashion Poet,” has been featured in Vogue, Marie Claire and the TODAY show. The event is free for all students and snacks will be provided at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 3 in Communication International Building (CIB) 2055.

Orientation

Orientation Fellows assist new students and families during Orientation to learn about resources and campus and to become a part of the UM community. Students interested in getting involved can apply at tinyurl.com/UMOFapp until noon Friday, March 6.

Safe Spring Break

Students who post pictures practicing safe spring break tips on social media using #UMSSB15 will be entered to win a $100 gift card to the UM Bookstore. For more information on how to have a safe spring break, visit miami.edu/safespringbreak.

Honor Council

The Honor Council is a body of 29 undergraduate students accepting applications to be part of a group of students dedicated to upholding the Honor Code and educating the student body about academic integrity. The council investigates cases and assesses the appropriate penalties for students who violate the Honor Code. Applications can be found on tinyurl.com/HonorCouncil2015 and are due at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 6. For more information contact Rahul Sheth at r.sheth@umiami.edu.

Greek Week Winners

Greek Week came to a close Saturday.  The orange team – Delta Phi Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Phi and Zeta Beta Tau – took first place, second place went to the purple team – Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Phi Mu Alpha– and the red team – Zeta Tau Alpha, Kappa Sigma and Delta Lambda Phi – came in third place.

The week’s events raised more than $35,000 for United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida. Last year’s Greek Week raised more than $30,000. 

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...