Basketball, Sports

Anticipation high for final Miami home game against North Carolina

After staving off a ferocious comeback against Florida State, the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team plays host to the No. 15 North Carolina Tar Heels Saturday afternoon, in a game that could decide Miami’s tournament hopes.

In anticipation of the game, UM students even camped outside of the BankUnited Center Friday night to cheer on the Canes during their 2 p.m. match. The game is being nationally televised on CBS.

To reach the NCAA tournament, head coach Jim Larrañaga has previously said the Hurricanes need a ratings percentage index (RPI) in the top 40. They currently rank 65th.

The matchup against UNC (19-9, 9-6 ACC) will provide the Hurricanes with the last opportunity to boost their RPI. Miami’s remaining games after UNC are against ACC bottom-feeders Georgia Tech, who beat Miami this season, and Virginia Tech.

Team captain Angel Rodriguez may have finally broken out of his prolonged slump after visiting with sports psychologist Bob Rotella. Rotella is a renowned psychologist and is currently with the undefeated Kentucky Wildcats basketball team.

“He was trying to make me think positive, giving me reminders of how things used to be with me early in the season, when I was playing more for fun before the expectations got higher,” Rodriguez said.

Whatever Rotella told Rodriguez, it seemed to work. Rodriguez finished the game against FSU with 25 points, one of his best performances of the season.

“Rotella is a miracle worker when it comes to getting people to think correctly,” Larrañaga said.

Interestingly, Miami has won four straight games against the perennial power.

The game against the Tar Heels is also senior night for Joe Thomas, a graduate transfer student, as well as for six student managers. ​

AJ Ricketts

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...