Edge, Movies

Best, worst movies of Will Smith

Rapper-turned-actor Will Smith has starred in more than 20 films and TV series. This weekend will be the premier of his latest film, “Focus.” In honor of Friday’s release, here’s a list of Smith’s top five best and worst movies in a completely subjective list that will probably offend someone.

Best

• “Men in Black”
    • “Men in Black” allowed Smith to work at his comedic best by pairing him with straight-faced Tommy Lee Jones. It’s an iconic movie, part of nearly every millennial’s childhood.
  • “Hitch”
    • Without the right actor, this would be just another cliché rom-com, but Smith brings ample charisma to make the movie great for repeat watching.
  • “I Am Legend”
    • It’s a testament to Smith’s acting that he can be the only character for the majority of the movie and still be enjoyable, but we all know the real star was the German Shepherd.
  • “Independence Day”
    • Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum save the world from aliens on the Fourth of July. If you don’t like this movie, you’re not a true American.
  • “The Pursuit of Happiness”
    • Heartfelt without being sappy, Smith inspires audiences to root for him to succeed rather than pity him.

Worst

• “After Earth”
    • Having your son in your movie is cool if he’s cute and tiny. An angsty teenager is less enjoyable to watch.
  • “Seven Pounds”
    • Smith’s character is a terrible person. He accidentally kills seven people, commits identity theft and arbitrarily determines who is “worthy” of an organ transplant. He then lets a girl fall in love with him fully knowing he’s going to commit suicide soon. Also, jellyfish? Really?
  • “Wild Wild West”
    • In hindsight, combining steampunk and western probably wasn’t a good idea. Neither was rapping the title song to the movie.
  • “Shark Tale”
    • If you haven’t seen this movie, just imagine a less enjoyable and less heartfelt version of “Finding Nemo.”
  • “Bad Boys II”
    • After watching this movie at least five times, it still seems uncertain if there’s an actual plot or it’s just a series of increasingly larger explosions

Featured image courtesy Flickr user TRF_Mr_Hyde

Robert Pinney

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...