Referendum passes for on-campus research magazine

The Scientifica Magazine referendum on the ballot during Student Government (SG) elections earlier this month has now been passed after a prior disqualification decision was overturned.

The referendum asked for a $1 increase to the student activities fee to cover printing costs for Scientifica, the University of Miami’s first undergraduate research magazine.

SEE ALSO: ‘For U’ ticket elected to serve as next Student Government executive board

It was originally disqualified because Scientifica Magazine’s leadership had not turned in required forms by the deadline.

The decision was made to pass the referendum after the SG Supreme Court and Elections Commission felt that “Section 4-2 of the Election Codes does not explicitly provide a deadline for when a Referendum Campaign should notify the Elections Commission that no money was spent on the campaign.”

As a result, the referendum has been passed because the majority of votes cast were in its favor.

Emily Dabau

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...