Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball bounces back with midweek win over Barry

The Miami Hurricanes improved to 6-3 on the short season after a midweek matchup with the nearby Barry University Buccaneers.

After an entertaining top of the 1st with two pickoffs at first base from Danny Garcia, the Hurricanes jumped to a 2-0 lead after one inning, and 5-0 lead after two. The Hurricanes made the bulk of their scoring off the back of free passes and timely hitting.

Three RBI doubles and a bases loaded walk provided four of the five Hurricane runs, with the other being on an RBI groundout. The Hurricanes earned 13 bases on 10 walks and 3 hit-by-pitches.

Barry pitchers struggled with their command all night. Meanwhile, Miami’s Danny Garcia (1-0, 2.70) was tremendous in 7.2 innings of work, allowing just two runs (one earned) on six hits with a career-high nine strikeouts.

Barry’s bullpen kept them in the game as three runs came into score late. Bryan Garcia came in to close it out in the 9th after the first two Buccaneers reached safely.

Miami held on 5-3 and will be entering a weekend series with Wright State back in the win column.

Wright State is led by former Hurricane Greg Lovely, who won two national championships with the Canes in 1999 and 2001 as the catcher.

Featured image Courtesy HurricaneSports

Alex Somer

The young man convicted of killing former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor returned to ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...