Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball bounces back with midweek win over Barry

The Miami Hurricanes improved to 6-3 on the short season after a midweek matchup with the nearby Barry University Buccaneers.

After an entertaining top of the 1st with two pickoffs at first base from Danny Garcia, the Hurricanes jumped to a 2-0 lead after one inning, and 5-0 lead after two. The Hurricanes made the bulk of their scoring off the back of free passes and timely hitting.

Three RBI doubles and a bases loaded walk provided four of the five Hurricane runs, with the other being on an RBI groundout. The Hurricanes earned 13 bases on 10 walks and 3 hit-by-pitches.

Barry pitchers struggled with their command all night. Meanwhile, Miami’s Danny Garcia (1-0, 2.70) was tremendous in 7.2 innings of work, allowing just two runs (one earned) on six hits with a career-high nine strikeouts.

Barry’s bullpen kept them in the game as three runs came into score late. Bryan Garcia came in to close it out in the 9th after the first two Buccaneers reached safely.

Miami held on 5-3 and will be entering a weekend series with Wright State back in the win column.

Wright State is led by former Hurricane Greg Lovely, who won two national championships with the Canes in 1999 and 2001 as the catcher.

Featured image Courtesy HurricaneSports

Alex Somer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...