Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes lose to Wake Forest after last-second shot

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina – Miami had just experienced back-to-back games with heartbreak endings. Wake Forest made it a third straight.

Wake Forest guard Amber Campbell hit a jump shot as time expired to give Wake Forest a dramatic 60-59 victory over Miami Thursday night at the Lawrence Joel Coliseum.

Miami (18-10, 8-7 ACC) had lost its past two games by a combined four points, but seemed to have a great opportunity to end that skid against a Wake Forest squad that was 1-13 in ACC play heading into this game.

However, a career night from Wake’s Millesa Calicott threw a wrench in those plans. Calicott tallied a career high for her second straight game, scoring 18 points, including 5-7 from beyond the arc.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley scored 19 for Miami, giving her double figures in 25 of 28 games this season now. However, she was the only Cane in double figures – Jass Williams and Michelle Woods each contributed nine for Miami .

The loss puts Miami’s tournament hopes in severe jeporady. Before this three-game skid, the Hurricanes were projected as an 11-seed. Now, it desperately needs a win against Florida State this Sunday, and most likely a run in the ACC tournament as well.

AJ Ricketts

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...