Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes lose to Wake Forest after last-second shot

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina – Miami had just experienced back-to-back games with heartbreak endings. Wake Forest made it a third straight.

Wake Forest guard Amber Campbell hit a jump shot as time expired to give Wake Forest a dramatic 60-59 victory over Miami Thursday night at the Lawrence Joel Coliseum.

Miami (18-10, 8-7 ACC) had lost its past two games by a combined four points, but seemed to have a great opportunity to end that skid against a Wake Forest squad that was 1-13 in ACC play heading into this game.

However, a career night from Wake’s Millesa Calicott threw a wrench in those plans. Calicott tallied a career high for her second straight game, scoring 18 points, including 5-7 from beyond the arc.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley scored 19 for Miami, giving her double figures in 25 of 28 games this season now. However, she was the only Cane in double figures – Jass Williams and Michelle Woods each contributed nine for Miami .

The loss puts Miami’s tournament hopes in severe jeporady. Before this three-game skid, the Hurricanes were projected as an 11-seed. Now, it desperately needs a win against Florida State this Sunday, and most likely a run in the ACC tournament as well.

AJ Ricketts

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...