Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes lose to Wake Forest after last-second shot

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina – Miami had just experienced back-to-back games with heartbreak endings. Wake Forest made it a third straight.

Wake Forest guard Amber Campbell hit a jump shot as time expired to give Wake Forest a dramatic 60-59 victory over Miami Thursday night at the Lawrence Joel Coliseum.

Miami (18-10, 8-7 ACC) had lost its past two games by a combined four points, but seemed to have a great opportunity to end that skid against a Wake Forest squad that was 1-13 in ACC play heading into this game.

However, a career night from Wake’s Millesa Calicott threw a wrench in those plans. Calicott tallied a career high for her second straight game, scoring 18 points, including 5-7 from beyond the arc.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley scored 19 for Miami, giving her double figures in 25 of 28 games this season now. However, she was the only Cane in double figures – Jass Williams and Michelle Woods each contributed nine for Miami .

The loss puts Miami’s tournament hopes in severe jeporady. Before this three-game skid, the Hurricanes were projected as an 11-seed. Now, it desperately needs a win against Florida State this Sunday, and most likely a run in the ACC tournament as well.

AJ Ricketts

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...