Frost School musicians offer Sunday sounds at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

The Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden enchants Coral Gables with 83-acres of sunshine, pathways, bright flowers, and an unknown gem – performances from students at the University of Miami Frost School of Music.

The Frost School has partnered with Fairchild to bring music to community through the Sunday Sounds program, which invites the musicians to take the stage near the Rainforest exhibit, which is considered to be the most popular location for visitors to rest and have lunch. Concerts last about an hour and include a variety of genres.

Melissa Lesniak, director of outreach, and Rhonda Kremer, teaching assistant, direct the proceedings on the campus end. Lesniak explained that students are chosen by Kremer to participate based on availability and preparation.

Lesniak and Kremer coordinate with Brooke LeMaire of Fairchild. LeMaire, a University of Miami alumna, spoke enthusiastically about the project and referred to the Frost students as “[having]so much talent and a diverse range of skills.”

Frost students such as Javier Nero, who performed live on the Lakeside Patio Thursday, will be performing as part of the Sunday Sounds concert on March 7.

Featured image courtesy FunGi_ via Flickr.

Brianna Hernandez

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...