Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Weightlifting organization ULift promotes general wellness

The University Center (UC)  is home to a new fitness club at UM. Founded last semester by current president and avid weightlifter Anthony Pumilia, ULift prides itself as an organization that caters to weightlifting and exercise aficionados on campus.

Under the mantra of “gains” – general improvements in any physical activity – the club seeks to bridge the gap between science and application when it comes to improving exercise techniques.

General meetings for ULift serve as discussion platforms on health and exercise topics. As an exercise physiology major, Pumilia uses knowledge from his courses and readings from scientific journals to provide current and verified information.

All members, including executive board leaders Lucas Aloisi and Andrew Ordille, review specific subjects such as sleep, alcohol and bodybuilding, and meal frequency. A speaker has also come in to explain the importance of research-backed methods when it comes to weightlifting.

“It’s hard to find correct knowledge on fitness, as sources tend to be biased and there are a lot of gimmicks,” Pumilia said. “It’s reassuring to be in the gym and create a community where everyone can help each other out. Spotting each other, trading dieting methods and lifting together.”

ULift has reached out to many students on campus who seek motivation in their active lifestyle and desire tips for improvement. Freshman exercise physiology major Alec Bizieff, who trained in high school, decided to go to meetings because he was interested in becoming a better weightlifter.

“The club helps me to be motivated to make goals, enhance everyone’s goals in the gym and makes exercise fun,” Bizieff said. 

Junior biology major Christian Marcus says he participates in ULift because it enhances knowledge of weightlifting and exercise, as “both together have led to better health experiences.”

Sponsored by large companies like MuscleMilk and Citadel, ULift’s pull-up competition will be held on Sunday, March 1 at 1 p.m. in the gym machine area of the IM fields.

Each rep will cost $1, and everyone who signs up has a chance to receive prizes from sponsors. All proceeds will go to the BioLayne Foundation, which funds research by graduate students in physiology labs.

ULift general meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. every other Wednesday in UC 211.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Andrew Blight

Lauren Goode

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...